• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

good mould for 62 smoothbore rb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I wanted to get a mould for casting my own roundballs for a greenmountain 62 smoothbore barrel I reciently purchased. I saw in midsouth cataloge Lee sells a 60 cal mould, as does lymann the lee is significantly less expensive any suggestions on a good ball to cast and or mould to use someone new to casting besides use pure lead that is cleaned up. I plan to cast with a person who has a lead smelter.

I would suggest buying a coupla bags of balls in different sizes to see what diameter shoots most accurately before investing in a mould.

Jeff Tanner sells the least expensive, quality mould that I am aware of.

Running a search on "Jeff Tanner" should bring up his web page.
J.D.

There is a lyman 600 rb mould for sale on HISTORICAL[url] TREKKING.COM[/url] ( GO TO ROUND ROBIN ) and the guy only wants $30 for it and he will pay the shipping, he says it brand new.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOu need to measure your bore size exactly, with a caliper, before choosing a ball mold. The nominal diameter of a 20 gauge barrel or .62 caliber is .615, not .620" . My barrel is oversized, at about .623". It shoots .600 balls okay, but would probably shoot .610 balls better. Order some balls from TOTW and try them out, AFTER you measure the bore on that smoothbore. When you decide what works, THEN start thinking about choosing a mold. If you are not going to shoot a lot of round ball every month, the Lee Mold will serve you will. If you are shooting a lot, every week, you probably would be better of with a mold from Lyman. Those .600 round ball weigh in at about 325 grains in pure lead. That is a lot of lead to be shooting out the barrel on a regular basis. You not only use a lot of lead, but your shoulder responds to the repetitive hits after awhile. You should be able to balls in .595, .600, .605, and .610 diameters if you look around.

I agree on the measurment, I can borrow a caliper or use a telescoping micrometer if it will fit in the bore, from reports on this forum from other green mountain smoothbore shooters they are 61 caliber for whatever reason they are labeled 62, most shoot the 60, or 60.5 cal balls, with a denim or pillow ticking patch, really the tough part is finding anything esle than 60 cal balls and moulds. I am going to look at the site listed from a post on this and at the lee site figure I got nothing but time and of course I shoot more out of my 32 cal mls than the 54's or 62 as of yet. like I shoot more 22 rimfire than the centerfire guns. As a teacher you have to save where you can.

so you shoot a 62 cal green mountain smoothbore ibs barrel. Did you find the actual bore to be 61 cal? I am definately intrigued.

In my Getz .62 smoothie barrel, the Lee .60 mold throws them a bit large, have to use real thin patching, so mostly shoot them bare ball over a lubricated felt wad and overshot card to retain ball. (really pretty accurate this way) Buddy cast me up a bunch of .590 balls, they make life easier when it come to patched balls.

I looked on track of the wolf, site they, I figure Iwill follow paulvalldingam's advice I will order lots of 25 hand cast balls in 595, 60, and 61 at worst and hope that when I call track they have a report on a good ball. hopefully a 60 cal will work best and then get the lee mould. If not Jeff tanner moulds seem to be a good option, what about saeco moulds I guess they would be pretty pricy?

greetings gemoke,

went to historical trekking. couldn't find anyting with round robin in it. thanks

..ttfn..grampa..

It's in the paragraph about "Message Board Rules", the 4th 'dot' down and in blue type.

thanks west Tex,

rebel sent a pm with with everything lit up. just had to punch the enter..

thanks reb, wes and ..ttfn..grampa..

Back