• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Woodsrunner Builders - Tools and Supplies?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfritz44

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'd like to generate a list of tools and supplies previous Woodsrunner builders found useful given the fact that the Woodsrunner is machined to such a high degree of accuracy. In theory, I shouldn't need to buy much.

If you're an experienced Woodsrunner builder, can you please check my list for completeness and potential modifications?

Tools I need:
  • Gunsmith screwdrivers
  • Lock vice
  • Files - what worked well for you?
  • Chisel - What worked well for you?

Tools I own:
  • Ballpeen hammer
  • Mallet
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Wire cutters
  • Nail set

Supplies I need:
  • Red ScotchBright
  • Sandpaper - grits 120 to 400?
  • 0000 Steel Wool
  • Brass Black - plan to blacken the brass
  • Birchwood Casey Plum Brown
  • Iron Nitrate
  • Birchwood Casey TruOil - is there a better choice for a traditional hand rubbed satin finish?
  • Wool Daubers to apply Brass Black and Browning solutions
Can anyone see anything I might be missing or have other suggestions?

On files, a 8” single cut smooth mill file for draw filing the barrel. And a set of jewelry files to detail the brass. Most of the chisels to complete nearly anything are in the picture but as I make them they don’t have names except the vainer.
Tru-oil is first rate to me, you can get any results with it by how you apply it.
68E83786-8D68-4762-85E4-2585FF10C917 by Oliver
Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0250 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Phil.

Did you find the need to draw file the barrel much, and if so, did you follow up with anything less abrasive?

I've only done one kit many years ago, an old Lyman that wasn't quality at all, and the barrel seemed pretty smooth to me then.

I sand with backing blocks after filing. It depends on what finish you want, I prefer no file marks and that includes a mat finish all the way to very smooth. Quality isn’t just skin deep! :)

Thanks Phil.

Did you find the need to draw file the barrel much, and if so, did you follow up with anything less abrasive?

I've only done one kit many years ago, an old Lyman that wasn't quality at all, and the barrel seemed pretty smooth to me then.
I got an SMR in the mail yesterday, I am amazed at how well finished the barrel is. Extremely fine mill marks you can barely feel and it looks like the texture of the pad of my thumb, if not smoother. Will set a reminder to take photos of it for you this evening.

Latest posts

Back