• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goodman's Valentine's Day Blackpowder Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
We held this at Carl and Linda's this year, about 18" of snow but almost thawing. There were six teams of two shooters. Here Jean is shooting while Neill watches. They won first place, Neill shooting a .54 flintlock he made with a Green River Rifle Works brass barrel.
ValShoot1.jpg

The targets were large and small red hearts, steel gongs and silhouettes and balloons.
JeanTargets.jpg

Most people were in period dress, and they always look good.
CarneyCarole.jpg

Here Terry loads.
TerryLoading.jpg

Lynn shooting a .40 flinter that Neill made for her. These gals can shoot the whiskers off a flea at 100 yards! (Well, at least 50!) There were right handed shooters that borrowed and shot left handed flintlocks, and vice versa.
LynnShooting.jpg

Neill won first place shooting a .54 he made with a Green River Rifle Works brass barrel, one of only several they made. He had Ed Rayl contour it octagon/round. He poured a chevron nosecap.
NeillBrassBbl.jpg

We had a good roast beef and wine dinner afterwards and are looking forward to our next shoot, St. Patricks Day!
ValShoot.jpg

Herb you are a lucky man..It looks like a blast..Those lady's look like they know what there doing Too! Love the sunshine,snow and bright outfits..It's a treasure to have a group of like minded shooting friends.....Enjoy....Dan

picture #2 is my favorite what a beautiful backdrop to shoot at.

Looks to me like a Great Time was had by all, except for the young lady in the prison coat. :haha: How long was she in for? :surrender:
Dusty :wink:

Herb,

Great Pix! Nice Story! Love that the ladies shoot too!

Is that a railway car cabin? That looks neat too! All I'd need is some provisions and a pot-bellied stove and I could live there in the beautiful country!

Dave

My wife and I loved looking at the pictures! What a great looking bunch...looks like a lot of fun.

I don't know about the buildings, Carl and Linda came from California and bought an acreage with the buildings on it. Probably an old ranch, but it may have been some kind of boy's camp, too. That one is hell for stout! Melissa borrowed that striped coat, note that it is way too big for her. Probably belongs to one of those whiskered guys, at least one of them "served time" in Australia, maybe he escaped from Van Diemen's Land! Melissa also borrowed and shot well right handed with Lynn's left handed flintlock. How nice to have these several younger new people joining in. And how fantastic for them to have all these fine people with their years of experience coaching them on dress, firearms and traditions and heartily welcoming them in. (I'm cut off the left side, you can see my unfinished .50 flintlock forestock. Note it has a 38" B Rice barrel!)

love the out fits, and the pix, nice work! brian. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Jaeger, there are pictures from other shoots in the archives. See "Flint's Frolick" in this Photo forum, posted by me 1/15/10. Then go to "Search" at the top of the page. Click on "Advanced Search", photos, keywords are Utah Sweetheart Shoot {don't use quotation marks), mode is Boolean, search in subject and body, username Herb, a year ago and older, click on "Search". that will bring up five sets of photos including the women shooters. They are following this forum and see and appreciate all the kind commments.

Looks like fun was had by all. Tis great when friens get together for fun food and shooting.
Great looking group of people in their period dress.
Thanks for shareing Herb.
Enjoy your upcomeing shoot as well.

Last night our Gentleman's Brass Rail and Longrifle Society met, a dozen of us, for poker, pool, moderate drinks and good visiting. Neill had his brass barreled rifle. He said only two were made by Green River Rifle Works, where he worked. The brass is hard and heavier than steel. Our friend Pat also worked there and bought one of the barrels, and the second one went to Pat's long time friend, Herschel House, who lost his in his shop fire. Neill got the last one and had Ed Rayle contour it from 1" x 42" to tapered octagon to round, 38", with a 1/16" swell at the muzzle. Neill made this in the style of a southern rifle from about the 1760's, perhaps Maryland or North Carolina. He forged the butt plate and trigger guard and made the rod pipes and sights. He poured a pewter chevron nose cap. The lock is a Dale Johnson by Chambers and the triggers are commercial. That rifle weighs 7.5 pounds and holds and points very nicely!

Looked like a great time Herb!

That brass barreled rifle is something. Think you could get some close ups of it from Niell?

Here's the lockside. Sorry for the poor quality photo.
NeillBrassLock.jpg

The buttstock and patchbox.The bright sun caused a glare.
NeillBrassPB.jpg

Cheek side.
NeillBrassCheek.jpg

Lockplate area.
NeillBrassSideplate.jpg
His finish is linseed oil.

Latest posts

Back