• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got a hog

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robert bw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
hello all.got a pig the other day with my 44 new army,10 inch barrel.saw two hogs bout 100 yards down and across the river.walked abreast of am to try for a shot cross the river but no dice,they were out of pistol range,went back upstream and crossed the river(pretty shallow at the time)walked up yonder got within 50 foot (there was a 5 foot ridge where the airboats made a channel next to the river)popped my head up and sure as night follws day there they were snouts in the dirt rootin round.took aim at first one shot twice apparently missed(gun shoots pretty high)aimed at the ground beneath the second one and let go.they both run up to a second ridge of palmettos 15 ft distant then second hog falters goes belly up sqeals very loud twice and gave up the ghost.wait a couple minutes make sure comrades aint doubling back ,go up poke it with my bowie knife,still put another round in it for good mesure.feild dressed it ,got it to the house,skinned it,the lead ball went thru a rib bone and both lungs and lodged just under the far side of the hide.first big game animal ever kilt

Awesome. I shot a few when I lived in Ft. Myers with arms unmentionable on this forum. Some good eating though. You should post some pics if you have any.

sorry bout that forgat to mention no pics was to busy carrying said carcass 500 or so yards to, believe it or not,my homemade recumbent bicycle,and toted it2 miles or so to the house in my lap(field dressed in a nylon sack so as not to be more of a spectacle than I already am.thanks for the reply

my thoughts exactly.i could hardly sleep that night.i was frankly amazed that I succeeded.i love it when a plan comes together!

Congrats on a great hunt! Between your story and the tracks I came across last night, I know what I am doing this weekend.

Congrats on your hog! Good job being careful walking up on him... can't be too careful!

you got that right.it seems to me that hogs get to much credit for being hard to get close up on.i have got within 60 feet or so of group em several times and they didn't know I was there until I made signifigant noise.without a gun I didn't want to get much closer but suspect it was possible.with cap n ball the closer the better.also I live in the florida backwoods so plenty of cover.

Spikebuck said:
Congrats ! :thumbsup:

Your bike story reminds me of the time I saw a guy riding down the road on a bicycle with a small whitetail draped around his neck! You're right, it'll make passerby's do a double take!

I used to deer hunt with a mountain bike regularly. Tying a deer on a bike and walking it out is an easier way of getting it to the truck than dragging it. I never was able to ride the bike with the deer on it though.

Canoes work good too.

I have a homemade recumbent bike that is very long wheelbase with a seat like a lawn chair so I was able to (awkwardly) ride with the hog in my lap.had to have someone else lift it and put it on my lap though.damned if I was gonna not take it home,was sore for days.

Congratulations swamp chicken, well done! The last time I was in Arcadia the Snook were running so thick in the Peace River you could have walked across on their backs. Keep yer powder dry......robin :hmm: :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back