• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got a new GM .54 1:70 twist drop-in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketeer59

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,
Today my new green mountain 54 cal slow twist drop-in barrel for my tc hawken finally arrived. It is 15/16" accross the flats and 32" long. The original barrel was 50 cal and 1:48 twist and didn't group well with prb. I cleaned it all up and am very excited to shoot it tomorrow. If any of you have this barrel, how does it shoot? It seems like it would be very accurate with a PRB. What kind of loads seem to shoot well for you? I'm looking forward to working up an accurate load at the range over the next few weeks. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I got one, luv that barrel. It took about a 100+ shot's for it to break in and really start to shoot sweet, I was a bit disapointed at first but then she REALLY got in the groove.

I use the Dutch Shoultz method so it's;
.020-.021 denum patch lubed 1-7
70grns of 2f T7 and a
.535 ball, it doesn't like 530 ball well, but it's likely just my technique of loading
You wouldn't believe how well that shoot's if I told ya, I up the charge to 85 for hunting, that opens the group a bit, but I'm still on printer paper at 100

Good luck finding your load, keep on shootin, you have a really nice barrel, I wish I could find a 54 1" for my Ren stocks.

necchi said:
"...I wish I could find a 54 1" for my Ren stocks..."

If by "Ren stocks" you mean T/C Renegades...just call T/C's Fox Ridge store on the plant site in NH.
1-800-243-4570.

Unless they recently quit making them for some reason, there are T/C .54cal barrels for the 1" Hawken and Renegade...both Flint and cap...1" x 30.5" x 1:66" and 1" x 29" x 1:48"

I have gm .54 1:70 twist on my tc hawken , and I tell you it can shoot , I use 90 grains of 2f , home made roundball , lube , pillow ticking patch, at 50 yards it will place all the shots in one ragged hole .

necchi said:
Good luck finding your load, keep on shootin, you have a really nice barrel, I wish I could find a 54 1" for my Ren stocks.
Here ya go:
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=1inchinterchangeablebarrels

I have one of these and love it. I also have one of the 1:66 roundball barrels made by Thompson Center, and love it too. Both are excellent barrels and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of either.

I use 80 grains of 3f Goex under a .530 roundball in a .015 cotton patch for a hunting load in both.

:hatsoff:
Spot

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links guys
233+ for a new barrel!! ouch! been awhile since I bought one! I think mine was 159, and I thought that was a tad high,, but I like the barrel.

Guess I'll just muddle along with that 15/16 I've got.
Is this a sign that GM is starting to make them again? Cause track lists most of the IBS barrels out of stock.

Thanks guys for your responses.
I was impressed how well the barrel dropped into the stock. I did have to bend the key a little though to tighten it up.

I just got back from the range after shooting it for the first time, man it was cold! It didn't want to group for me. Then I saw that the patches were not falling off the ball right away, in fact some were found near the 50yd target that I was shooting at. The patches were old, pre-lubed with wonder lube 1000, and I think the cold weather was making the patches stick to the ball.

I need to find some good cold weather lube and lube the patches myself. If any of you know of a good cold weather lube please let me know. I'll try shooting again tomorrow with better lube.

for lube , I made some stumpys moose snot I got the recipe here in the forum , its a good lube works great in cold weather

musketeer59 said:
Hello All,
Today my new green mountain 54 cal slow twist drop-in barrel for my tc hawken finally arrived. It is 15/16" accross the flats and 32" long. The original barrel was 50 cal and 1:48 twist and didn't group well with prb. I cleaned it all up and am very excited to shoot it tomorrow. If any of you have this barrel, how does it shoot? It seems like it would be very accurate with a PRB. What kind of loads seem to shoot well for you? I'm looking forward to working up an accurate load at the range over the next few weeks. Any advise would be much appreciated.

I have one. Dead accurate right out of the box. Mine likes 90 grains of Goex 2F, lubed felt wad, pillow ticking patch, and .535 ball.

Have fun!

HD

It took about a 100+ shot's for it to break in and really start to shoot sweet, I was a bit disapointed at first but then she REALLY got in the groove.

I had exactly the same experience with the .54 GM barrel I bought for my Renegade necchi. But man, once it started shooting it really started shooting. Keeps getting better and better.

Spot said:
necchi said:
Here ya go:
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=1inchinterchangeablebarrels

I have one of these and love it. I also have one of the 1:66 roundball barrels made by Thompson Center, and love it too. Both are excellent barrels and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another of either.

I use 80 grains of 3f Goex under a .530 roundball in a .015 cotton patch for a hunting load in both.

:hatsoff:
Spot

i wishes i could find a dropin replacement .58 caliber barrel , for my lyman GPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
necchi said:
"...I wish I could find a 54 1" for my Ren stocks..."

If by "Ren stocks" you mean T/C Renegades...just call T/C's Fox Ridge store on the plant site in NH.
1-800-243-4570.

Unless they recently quit making them for some reason, there are T/C .54cal barrels for the 1" Hawken and Renegade...both Flint and cap...1" x 30.5" x 1:66" and 1" x 29" x 1:48"

heck ? in a one incher, could you not even go to a .58 ?

that would be a thumper.

Back