• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

got burnt taking smooth bore fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided that I was going all or nothing with a flintlock this year, in order to do that I had to leave my percussion gun at the house. I am really addicted to "the rock". Nothing wrong with caps, I just dont care for them the same way. I hunt a powerline right of way and the main deer crossing area is within 50 yds each side of the tree I climb. Of course you can see much further than that each way. I just recently got a smooth bore fowler and really like the challenge of shooting the front sight only smoothy. I can hit a coke can with it at 50 yds, but hadnt shot it at 100 yet. I have no clue what it does at 100 yds. and would never wonder unless the inevitable big buck at 100 yds appeared, as it did Sat morning at 7:50 am. Well it happened on the very public land that I hunt that is hunted night and day by all kinds of rif raff. And on a good year I see maybe 3-4 bucks, and about as many does. I dont guess I will ever see him again, nice 8 at least, ( I haven't shot a deer that nice in the last 10 years).
I just thought I would share the story, because I am new to this adventure and I am sure it has happened to someone else. I decided to hunt TN rifle season with a flintlock smooth bore fowler or flintlock rifle and I don't regret it.
I just wish I lived closer to Roundball because my family is "needy" for some deer meat. :rotf: :rotf:

:hmm: it's not that you didn't take yer percussion rifle, it's ya haven't found yer smoothbore's range...yet....they're better than advertised...but ya gotta play with them............ :hmm: course the deer know how far what ya has shoots too! :wink:
an its a whitetail..ya jus never know..could be back......and yes..livin near roundball would put some concerns to rest,,,,,,,,, :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
T.O. said:
I decided to hunt TN rifle season with a flintlock smooth bore fowler or flintlock rifle and I don't regret it.
Yes, that sort of thing happens to most everybody, but it all seems to average out over the years...once I made that same commitment to hunt exclusively with Flintlocks, my level of hunting satisfaction jumped up and stayed up.

I just wish I lived closer to Roundball because my family is "needy" for some deer meat. :rotf: :rotf:

Will squirrels do ?? There are 4 of them that should be streaking through your yard tomorrow morning...LOL.
I managed to walk up 4 of them this morning and never fired a shot...was carrying the .54cal smoothbore with #5s and each time I saw them they were borderline out of range to begin with, and headed towards Tennessee in high gear !!

:grin:

we will take squirrel, we are sick of chicken, my wife asked if people eat oppossum? I guess she wanted an option in case I dont get her a deer. :hmm:

You don't get burnt by using a smoothbore, you use a smoothbore because you choose to and take what comes with that... :thumbsup:

You betcha. Hunt with a flintlock rifle and they show up at 150 yards. Hunt with a smoothbore and 100 yards. Hunt with a stickbow and they come in to 50 yards.

So fool 'em good and sit there with a bow in your hand and have the smoothbore across your knees.

Yes some people eat opossums. I have never been that hungry and I hope I never am......................watch yer top knot.................

Good for you, you have to leave a few for seed. ;)

I have left some good'erns too! But, those bucks you do take with the rock-lock sure stand apart from the rest!

Good luck with your next hunt
Wess

Swampy said:
You don't get burnt by using a smoothbore, you use a smoothbore because you choose to and take what comes with that... :thumbsup:
I have to agree with Swampy.. It is rifle season here and I choose to use only my flintlock smoothie. :thumbsup:

Your exactly right Swampy, I didnt get burnt. To be honest what I really hate is I wont get to hunt that rascal for the next 2 weeks. By that time his pretty rack could be bailing wired to the hood of an old farm truck. :rotf: Oh well they are all trophy's when you hunt with traditional weapons. :thumbsup:

Most of the deer I've taken were under 40 yards regardless of the season. I've shot two with a .30 cal centerfire rifle - 10 yards and 11 yards while resting under a tree while still hunting.

My point is, if you can only shoot 50 yards sit or still hunt in spots where the furthest you can see is 60 yards. Play to the weaknesses of the weapon. I use old recurves and limit myself to 25 yards and closer, so my tree stand and ground blind are in pretty thick cover. Happily, so are the deer normally.

Figure out where they are moving during hunting hours and place yourself where they have to come to you. At mid day, still hunt in the bedding areas and go to them. Because of the limited range when I still hunt it may take me an hour to go 100 yards; one or two steps and then pause, look and listen. A running deer at 60 or 80 yards when you have a semi-automatic is fine, but not so with a smooth flintlock. You need to have a standing or walking and unalarmed deer . . . at least I do.

we are sick of chicken, my wife asked if people eat oppossum? I guess she wanted an option in case I dont get her a deer. :hmm: [/quote]

Should have said something earlier, I caught some on my trapline this fall. You could have had them for "FREE"! Possume is the other white meat!

T.O. said:
we will take squirrel, we are sick of chicken, my wife asked if people eat oppossum? I guess she wanted an option in case I dont get her a deer. :hmm:

try it! you will be surprised. possum has a mild flavor and the young ones fry up very tender.

Back