• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this Buck on wednesday. We spotted him below a rimrock, feeding. I got above him and found that he had dissapeared somewhere. He had actually bedded down and after some time I spotted him in his bed about 80 yards below me and to my right. I waited about an hour for him to stand up and made a good shot through the lungs. He went about 80-100 yards and was down for good. I was using my trusty .58 with my standby load of 120 gr. KIK 2F behind a pillow tick patch lubed with Stumpy's Moose Juice (semi-dry method) and a hand cast .570 ball.
Idaho PRB

2008MLBuck-1.jpg

Very nice! My season closed yesterday.....no deer for me :shake: It is great to see all the photos of successful hunts Great job! :thumbsup:

Hello from Germany!

Well done and Waidmanns Heil!

Is it unfair to shoot at a deer when lying in its bed or was it just not possible?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Kirrmeister said:
Is it unfair to shoot at a deer when lying in its bed or was it just not possible?
Kirrmeister,
I will answer that just for myself.
Weather fair or legal, I would not do it. But that is just me,I am sure there are other opinions
on the issue.
snake-eyes:hmm:

To the best of my knowledge there is no law regarding shooting deer while they are bedded down. I say if you are skilled enough to creep up on a bedded deer then more power to you.

snake-eyes said:
Kirrmeister said:
Kirrmeister,
I will answer that just for myself.
Weather fair or legal, I would not do it. But that is just me,I am sure there are other opinions
on the issue.
snake-eyes:hmm:

There's nothing ilegal or unethical about, as long as you wait until you can get a clear shot & make a clean kill. I have always considered it to be one of the best challenges of hunting. To be able to stalk within range of a buck get a shot at him in his bed, takes good skill & patience. :thumbsup:

You did the right thing IMHO! I would have done the same thing as it would be considered fair chase. Great job IdahoPRB!
Dusty

Great buck Idaho PRB.
Just my opinion. I've been deer hunting for more than 30 years and have never heard the ethical questioning of shooting a deer in its bed. But it doesn't surprise me on this forum. Sometimes the smugness and self righteousness over foolish issues is really hard to take.
I don't see why any one would bring it up. Just congratulate the man. My gosh guys!
I'm sure I'll get torched for this.

Kirrmeister said:
Hello from Germany!

Well done and Waidmanns Heil!

Regards

Kirrmeister

The main reason I didn't shoot him in his bed is that his vitals were obscured by vegetation. I just didn't have a shot. The question of ethics never crossed my mind. It is rarely easy to get within range of an animal in the open country that I live and hunt in. I have taken more than a few animals while in their bed. It is a common tactic out here to stalk an animal in its bed, one of the more effective methods for short range weapons like the muzzleloader or bow.
Idaho PRB

Hi doulos,

for me it is also no problem to do it if possible. Normally I take my chance whenever it is possible, no matter how the deer is placed. but here in Germany many hunters have another opinion about this. And by the way I don't see something foolish about this question. I think this forum is for interchanging of expiriences.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Back