• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my GPR today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
54 percussion roundball

Have a couple questions

1) when I took it out fo the box and assembled it
I had to apply a little pressure to the right side of the stock ( looking from the butt end) to get the barrell to drop in place probably moved it to the right about a 32nd of a inch, do you think it will take the proper "set" after the barrel is in it for a long time and line up correctly in the future? The fit is close on both sides of the barrelland the rest of the gun

2)I still have a horn, measure from when I had my renegade.

Are there any other handy accessories I will need or find handy.

Thanks

bobman said:
54 percussion roundball

Have a couple questions

1) when I took it out fo the box and assembled it
I had to apply a little pressure to the right side of the stock ( looking from the butt end) to get the barrell to drop in place probably moved it to the right about a 32nd of a inch, do you think it will take the proper "set" after the barrel is in it for a long time and line up correctly in the future? The fit is close on both sides of the barrelland the rest of the gun

2)I still have a horn, measure from when I had my renegade.

Are there any other handy accessories I will need or find handy.

Thanks
A) Congrads on a GREAT, FUN Gun!! I know taht you will enjoy it!!

B) I doubt taht the little "pressure" will hurt anything (was this a finished gun or a kit?) I WOULD start shooting it straight away so that IF there were an unreparably accuracy issue or IF something were to break it could be returned and repaired BEFORE to much time had elapsed.

C) There will be LOTS that you will want or "NEED" :wink: but the two things that have made MY life MUCH more enjoyable were a good range rod and my bullet mold (Lee RB .530 & .535 double cavity). A small aresol can of WD-40 is good as is a bottle of 92% ispropol alcohol. of course I DO really like having the CO2 discharger in a GOOD ROOMY range box...A small assortment of screwdrivers, a file, poctlet knife, and a "sharpie" are handy. Life could be a beotch without the short starter for sure....I DO buy cleaning patches in bulk and like to have a fist full of Q-tips and pipe cleaners for those hard to reach sopts. I do suppose that a copper bore brush and DEFINATELY a cleaning Jag are good too... :grin:

Hi Bob,
That was my first muzzle loader. I bought over 30 years ago. I still have it and it still shoots great! I liked it so much my wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit, which is just as good. My favorite load is a .530 ball, pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 80 grains of FFg Goex. This gives me one ragged hole at 50 yards. Wattsy gave you some good advise. The range rod I got from Dixie came with a cleaning jag and ball puller. Been using it for over 25 years. Here it is: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_320&products_id=1302 . I go to Wal-Mart or any fabric store to buy a couple of yards of pillow ticking. I also pick up a couple of yards of cotton flannel to make cleaning patches. A lot cheaper than buying the store bought ones. Well, you have a great rifle in a great caliber. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great rifle Bobman. You might add a capper (style of your choice) and a nipple wrench to your handy assessory list.

Congrats!
You'll have fun with it. Mine is accurate as anything.
Make sure you get all that packing goop out of the barrel. Brake or carb cleaner works. If you keep the sights on the rifle, you'll probably need a file for the front sight. (they are a tad too tall)

I would suggest replacing the factory nipple with a new after-market one. Also, be sure to squirt WD 40 into the hairline gap between the ramrod rail and the barrel to force out any water from cleaning. Otherwise, you have a fantastic rifle! It is an amazingly accurate rifle for a production gun and it is close to historically correct. Mine likes a .530" ball, 80 grs. of GOEX FF and a .18" patch. You will grow to love that rifle!

thanks for the tip the stock issue I mentioned earlier in my first post is more like a 1/8 inch to the left at the forend cap I have to grab the barrel and gently squeeze the stock a little to line it up then it drops right in and the wedges go in fine. Kind of bugs me but I dont want to go to the hassle of sending it back if its not going to be a problem.

The manual suggest using birchwood caseys oil on the stock to give it more coats have any of you guys done that. If so whats the best way to do it. Do you have to remove the metal parts or just rub it into the wood?

Thanks

You got me thinking so Iordered my GPR today from Midsouth. Can't wait to get my hands on it and get it in the woods for a late season ML hunt.

bobman,
I wasn't satisfied with the factory finish on my GPR so I ended up stripping it, filling and sealing the grain and refinishing.
I used a Tung oil/ Mineral Spirits soup. About 8 coats in all and a few drops of spar varnish in the mix for the last few coats. Big difference in appearance and it sheds water.

Bobman: Shoot the rifle first and before you get concerned about the stock alignment issue. The rifle will probably shoot better than you can hold it as it is now. Secondly, I just rubbed on a few coats of boiled linseed oil to improve the dull finish from the factory. After a few coats of well-rubbed linseed oil, the stock will just shine. You will love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine arrived today. I had to use a small amount of pressure to get the barrel into the stock as well. It seems to be seated just fine once in there. Sweet gun. Now the fun begins - get her cleaned up, find the right load and shoot, shoot, shoot. Should be dialed in in time for the Ohio late ML season.

I am sending mine back and Midsouth is exchanging mine for another one, the misalignment is just too much. Its not right and I feel like a new gun should be. Mine is more than slight. I am recovering from knee surgery so I have the time to wait.

Hopefully the next one will be better, I really like the gun just want one fitted correctly. If I get a good one I will keep it until I am too old to hunt.

bobman said:
I am sending mine back and Midsouth is exchanging mine for another one, the misalignment is just too much. Its not right and I feel like a new gun should be. Mine is more than slight. I am recovering from knee surgery so I have the time to wait.

Hopefully the next one will be better, I really like the gun just want one fitted correctly. If I get a good one I will keep it until I am too old to hunt.

Were you able to actually mount the barrel? Mine went in somewhat snug but I figure that a PERFECT fit would be the exception not the rule. I also think that over time the stock will probably conform better to the barrel. Maybe a long time GPR owner can chime in and give us their experience.

yes I could get it assembled but it was off more than I originally thought probably a 3/16ths -1/4 inch out at the stock endcap.

Just bugged me.

I can't believe thats normal. My old TC renegade was a perfect fit so is my friends TC hawken.

I like the GRP just think I got one that slipped thru the quality control. Atleast I hope thats the reason because I like the gun

bobman said:

Bobman, Midsouth will make it right for you. Then you'll enjoy that rifle for many years before passing it down to one of your grandkids. :thumbsup:

Just for the record, when I called Midsouth they told me to call Lyman. I'm not planning to return the rifle but I have a similar barrel to stock fit. I just examined it a little closer and I would say the 1/4" estimate is pretty close. I would like to hear from other GPR owners to see if this is normal.

The amount of mismatch you describe is unusual, so you can expect better. However, I'd have kept the gun as even that much misalignment isn't a problem.

When you get the new gun, absolutely replace the nipple (I recommend Tresos, but there are others that will work and are better than the OEM nipple), clean the bore with carb cleaner to get rid of the packing grease and plan on shooting about 100 rounds before the barrel gets broken in and shoots any kind of small group. I wouldn't worry about group size or working up a load until then. Use 70 gr under a .530 ball with .018 pillow ticking or .015 cotton patches.

Latest posts

Back