• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my GPR today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got mine back today also its not perfect but its way way better than the first one good enough I am going to keep it

I want to thank all of you! Based on feedback from this website and Shooters forum I have a new Lyman GPR in .54 cal Perc on its way.

Figured this was a good way to use my first post. You all have been very helpful. Looking forward to reporting when the GPR is received, cleaned and fired at the range.

:thumbsup:

Vietnam71
Life Member DAV
Life Member NAHC
Endowment Life NRA
Certified NRA Instructor

DNR Sports had the best price I could find. They was recommended by some on this site as well. I'm looking forward to getting it.

This is a great site with valuable information. Glad I found it.

Vietnam71

Welcome vietnam 71, & congrats on the GPR 54. You will love that fantastic gun. I'm sure you know to clean all the machining oils & grease out before shooting, but let me tell you what I forgot to do. I did not remove the nipple & shot for about 10 rounds. I cleaned it up & put it away. Now I want to remove the nipple & it won't budge! :cursing: So, don't forget to remove the nipple & put a light coat of breech plug grease on the threads before you fire the first shot. :thumbsup: A stuck nipple really sucks!

Thanks for the welcome Flint.

Yeah I know about the nipple removal. Good advice though. I'm not new to ML but new to this site. I plan on giving the rifle a complete cleaning out before I fire any shots through it.

I've done this with every ML I own. The GPR will be my first RB shooter. I have a Black Mountain Rifle which has a fast twist.

:thumbsup:

Vietnam71

Flint54,

I received the Lyman GPR and it was not gunked up like some had suggested. It did have a coating of oil based protectant but was real easy to clean. After cleaning used some isoprophyl alcohol and rem-oil on the outside surfaces of the barrel.

Overall fit and finish was excellent. Looking forward to first range trip.

vietnam71

Back