• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my new flintlock turkey gun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came home Friday afternoon and had this latest addition to my black powder arsenal leaning against the door. This is the gun my good friend, John Pruitt, built for me that I made a quiver and 4 dozen cookies to get. After 25 minutes of removing bubble wrap and tape (John must own stock in those companies), I ran to the woods to try out my new toy. Two shots later I had two dead squirrels. Now it's time to work on the animals the gun is intended for.

The barrel is a Colerain Griffin fowler barrel in 20 gauge with their turkey choke in it. It is 42 inches long and Scott, at Colerain, made me a real deal on it. I bought it, and a large Siler lock kit, and had them shipped to John. He made the trigger guard, butt plate and side plate, had the other stuff laying around and carved the stock out of some walnut he had. He then trimmed the stock up with some Osage orange. I really like the drop stock and the thing has a hair trigger. It's fall turkey season in Missouri right now and I really hope to have something to show before the season is over.

If you want to see more details about the gun, here's a link to a short video I made: New turkey gun
Darren
NewTurkeyGun-3Small_zps4i4gx7rb.jpg

NewTurkeyGun-1Small_zpsijcope7m.jpg

This is the gun my good friend, John Pruitt, built for me that I made a quiver and 4 dozen cookies

What are 4 dozen cookies??????????????????

Here's the quiver I made for John to compensate him for his trouble.
PruittQuiver-1_zps4okzrn6z.jpg

PruittQuiver-2_zpsfuj5aowb.jpg

PruittQuiver-3_zpsrjcqmpea.jpg

PruittQuiver-4_zpsok4itb8t.jpg

And here are the 4 dozen cookies I made to accompany the quiver in its travels. I don't think they made it through the night once John's family got into them!
cookies_zpsuesvgbqr.jpg

Darren

Real nice Darren :thumbsup:

Hey, if you monkey around with patterning that turkey barrel, I sure hope you'll remember us here and post your results.

Some of us (not I) have that barrel. The patterns are almost unbelievable. Good luck with her!

Best regards, Skychief

Eterry said:
Darren, when you say Osage Orange do you mean bore dark? Or Bois D`Arc ? I was looking at it closer. One of these days I'm going to start on my 12 bore smoothie...too many irons in the fire.

Yes, that is the correct wood. John has a bunch of it on hand for bow making purposes.

Fantastic. Especially that bit about the first two shots each taking a squirrel. :hatsoff:
I got a new gun & at the gun shop (which is on a farm) I took two varmints with the first two shots even before I got it home. :haha:
That gives a real confidence boost in the further use of the gun, doesn't it.
O.

Back