• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got one for the table

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I havent gotten to got much at all this season,(3 times=zero deer). My wife says "whats up with that?" Keep in mind I am hunting in the Unit L of Tennessee where I am allowed to take 3 doe a day for a total of 300 per year. yeah right. I got the black bear earlier (Flintlock Black Bear post earlier this month) and Dad is keeping me covered up in squirrels, a trapping friend has got me six beaver roast and I am hoping he can get me a bobcat. We got a freezer full of catfish, but we are out of deer meat. Well I had a little luck today. I got up and made the long drive to the woods. Three deer were standing at the end of the my subdivision street about 200yds from my house laughing at me as I started my 2 hour drive to the woods. Just before I turned into the woods I saw three more standing in a yard. Well they are moving a few hours before daylight on this dark foggy morning. Anyway up in the stand 40 minutes before light I start to hear a huge flock of turkeys in the hollow right beside me. Oh well maybe I will be entertained today anyway. About 20 minutes after daylight a running doe that hasnt made a sound is coming into range fast. Just as she slows down of course its the thickest part of the woods about 50 yds away. I start looking for openings. But in the corner of my eye hear comes another deer. Its going to come alot closer. I dont see horns but I suspect there is a buck involved in this somewhere. Well any way the deer appears to be a yearling doe and it stops facing me about 40 yds away. I already had my gun flinter cocked and the st trigger pulled so it only took me an instant to center the front sight in the middle of her chest. I left her rip. A .526 round ball with a .15 patch powered by 70 FFF goex hits its mark. The deer runs about 25 yds before piling up. Upon closer inspection it is a button buck and the .526 passed right thru the heart and out the bottom of the rib cage. I got her home and ground up before, fixing to eat some deer tacos tonight and some very tender tenderloin tomorrow. I am fixing to have some time off for Christmas break and believe I might get and try to get another one. sorry no pics. I was very impressed with the damage inflicted by 70 FFF. I tried using up to 90 but the gun is more accurate with 70. Its my new 54 so theres still a lot to figure out.

T.O., its not unusual late in the season when more attention turns to shooting does that some buttons get taken as well...part of the reality.
Congratulations on a good shot!
:thumbsup:

Good story T.O and congrats. By the way, what part of Tn do you hail from?

Jeff

Rougedog, I grew up around Camden in West TN on the TN river. I now live north of Memphis, but drive back to Camden area to deer hunt,its not always practical but my Dad still lives there.

T.O.,
I know the whereabouts of which you speak. We do a little waterfowl hunting in the Dyersburg area every January. Good to know we have some other traditonal shooters here in Tennessee. Are you familiar with any blackpowder clubs? I think it would be great to have a way to meet up with other likeminded individuals every once in a while.

Jeff

My club is Hatchie Run Longrifles and we are in North Mississippi, the Davy Crockett Longhunters club is in Lawrenceburg, TN. I attend their rondy in the late summer. Possum Branch has monthly shoots north of Nashville and a great rondy in October.

Thanks so much for the info T.O. I want to get involved with some of these groups. I think going to a rondy would be a ton of fun.

Jeff

congrats....live on the other side of Tennessee near Chattanooga but know Camden well as I grew up in Murray Ky.Have kin in the Camden area too.I've looked @ the Hatchie Run Web Site....might need to make a visit sometime :hmm: :hmm:

deer tacos, i admit i have not thought of that yet... dinner wednesday is now set for deer tacos!

congrats on the deer!

-matt

Back