• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the new .62cal Virginia's Turkey Load dialed in today..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Today was the first shot I've fired since deer hunting during the early November rut...got my Turkey load dialed in now, averages several pellets through the skull & neck vertebrae at 30 yards.

80grn measure Goex 3F
2 - 11/16" prelubed Duro-Felt wads
1 Circle Fly OS card
120grn measure of hard #6s
2 Circle Fly OS cards

Spring season is right around the corner...just need a longbeard to cooperate.
:wink:

:thumbsup: Way to go.Can't wait for this weather to give us a break so i can get out with mine.Haven't shot it since buying it.62/20 smooth bore.Griz

Hey roundball why the two felt wads and 2 over powder cards. I an about to get my shotgun together and work up some loads before turkey season.

bowkill said:
Why the two felt wads
Two 1/8" prelubed wads are only half the size and weight of a full 1/2" cushion wad and gives me a tighter pattern and more lube.
Why 2 over powder cards.
I assume you meant 2 "over shot" cards?
I just like using 2 OS cards over the shot as added insurance that the shot charge will stay put during the handling, walking, etc.

So ml turkey hunting is very doable.

I'm into doing this.

Probably won't get to it this year, but 2012 seems quite possible.

Yep, it can be done - these dropped within about a minute of each other (or however, long it took me to reload)

Turkeys_and_rifle2.jpg

mbokie said:
So ml turkey hunting is very doable.

Depending on where you hunt, rifles are usually not allowed for turkey hunting, forcing the choice to be smoothbores and shot loads for head/neck shots.

Turkey hunting is really tailor made for muzzleloaders...you basically have a close, stationary target so the muzzleloader itself is hardly a second thought...all the effort in turkey hunting, whether using a modern shotgun or a muzzleloader, is getting one in range undetected to take the shot.

That's how it is here. Shotguns only. Close shots.

I want to get a a handle on what I'll have to spend and what I should be looking to get.

Early VA 50 cal with a 120 grs FFFg and a .480 rb.

But, back in the 90s I did it with a TOTW Tulle Fusil de chasse with 90 grs of FFg and 1 1/8 oz of 6s using standard circle fly over powder, lubed cushion and over shot wad.

There is no question in my mind. Ml'ers and turkey is like summer and ice cream. They just go perfect together. Thanksgiving is proof about ml'ers and turkey. :grin:

mbokie said:
That's how it is here. Shotguns only. Close shots.

I want to get a a handle on what I'll have to spend and what I should be looking to get.
For a starting point that usually doesn't require a second mortgage, a used T/C Hawken (or Renegade) stock assembly and a GM .62cal drop-in smoothbore barrel is a darn good combo in the $400-$500 range depending on condition, and if TC's new style lock...have taken my few turkeys with that barrel in a Hawken stock...hope to Christen the new .62cal Virginia this spring.

Or look around for some used long guns in the $1100+ range, or new ones even higher, and of course if you start tacking on carvings, engraving, inlays, etc...well, you know...

They wanted $1120 for the brown Bess. It was fairly ornate.

But I think I like your other suggestions better. For now, at least. I could do something in that range fairly soon.

Now, let me ask a rookie question: should I avoid rifling?

mbokie said:
Now, let me ask a rookie question: should I avoid rifling?
Oh yes...just imagine that you're buying a modern Remington .20ga shotgun.
But instead of a Remington smoothbore barrel, its a Green Mountain smoothbore barrel...especially made as a "drop-in" barrel for a T/C Hawken or Renegade stock.

Latest posts

Back