• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got the new .62cal Virginia's Turkey Load dialed in today..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it was the only thing that appeared to make sense.

What do you think of that kind of money for the Brown Bess?

I'll have to pass on that for 2 reasons:

1) I have zero knowledge about a brown bess;
2) An amount of money is a vey subjective, mostly personal thing;

My interest happens to be in what a civilian style rifle or smoothbore might have looked like...ie: half stock Hawken styles, full stock Early Virginia style, etc...but that's just me.

PERSONAL ADVICE:
If you'e going to buy something up in that price range or above, guard against rushing your decision as you might regret it later.
Check classifieds, check gun auctions, etc...some good clean used ones show up fairly often.
A $500 choice now would let you jump in, and worst case you could resell it in a year or two for $450-$500 again, after you've settled in to a better idea of what you might like

Check the classifieds here as there are some good smoothbores that get listed from time to time.I have had very good dealings with Greg Christian, a member here, and have two of his smoothbores... :thumbsup:

"Thanksgiving is proof about ml'ers and turkey."

I thought the NDN's brought the Turkey and the Pilgrims brought the ice cream?

There are a couple of nice looking smooth bore guns in the classifeds now for $800-900, there atre a couple of other forums whih also offer such a service and often have such guns from $500 up and most of these guys who post guns for sale are cool, you do not hear much about rips-offs when buying used ML's, maybe kind of a throw back to the old ways of honor and a mans word being his bond? A NW gun is a good choice as most peole seem to be able to shoot them well some of the other styles give some shooters problems and a used gun will not likely be made to fit for you.

Ok, I'm going to do all of the above until I find what I like and can afford. I won't worry about when I get it, but will concern myself with being happy with my purchase.

Thanks to PaulN, as well.

:thumbsup:

I've seen a lot of people around here use 2 overshot cards over the shot, what does this do?

luie b said:
I've seen a lot of people around here use 2 overshot cards over the shot, what does this do?
Speaking for myself, I use 2 snug fitting OS cards as added insurance that the shot charge stays firmly in place when walking / gun handling while out hunting...

Latest posts

Back