• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR 2nd time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
excess650 said:
My .58 with Chambers lock and White Lightnin' liner was a bit slow until I opened it up from .050" to .062". It fires every time, and doesn't need picked between shots. I'm using Tom Fuller flints and ffg Goex.

You may have found a solution in increasing the amount of priming powder. Coning the outside may help.

You might try setting your flint further from the frizzen to see if it lessens the flint wear. Does the Lyman seem to need more pressure to open the frizzen vs the TC?

As for your patches, some of them are obviously blown. I found that changing to a stiffer patch lube helped considerably in this regard provided the patch material was thick enough already.

I have tried .0625, .070, and 5/64th touch holes and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I do think a RMC would be a better choice.

Yes the 'blown up' patches were probably the 90 gr load and the better looking ones are the 70 gr load.

Boy that big .54 cal and 90 grs is an impressive combo!

ebiggs said:
I must bow to your knowledge, as this is my first Lyman. Here is what is on the barrel. What do you think?

IMG_3880.jpg

You are right, Sir! The barrel print says it is a GPR, but i don't know these types of lock plates at the GPR.

Regards

Kirrmeister

The boxed "I" is the sign of Investarms. They make Lyman and the Hawkens models for Cabela's and Dixie. Great quality. I have two .54 GPRs myself :thumbsup:

Sorry ebiggs,I must have fell asleep :shake: Cowpoke has the correct answer GPR are made by Investarms. :wink:

Hi Kirr,

Your barrel markings are identical to those on a GPR kit I took in recently on a trade for a brandnew, assembled, unfired T/C Hawken with a 1:66" roundball barrel. Only difference is I accepted a .50 cal barrel, 1:60" ROT.

The T/C rifle was a factory replacement for a defective PA Hunter from the T/C factory and it's fit and finish (to me) were so poor I was glad to take the trade, kit plus cash from a T/C fan.

I'll build a much better traditional flint rifle from the GPR kit than T/C is making today.
Finnwolf

And you should be proud, That is a nice rifle.
Any pointers you have on shooting yours.......

ebiggs said:
And you should be proud, That is a nice rifle.
Any pointers you have on shooting yours.......

well, it takes anywhere between 100-200 rounds to break the barrel in. and in that time you get to work on "flinters flinch" i use like 50 gr of fffg in mine for a target load, and it holds good out to 75 yards with that. i step it up a bit if im hunting or shooting greater distances. i use a .490 ball and old shirts for patches, for lube any thing from grease to bacon grease. mostly if i pre-grease i use sweet oil, aka olive oil. or just spit. at 100 yards i can hold a pattern that i can hold my hand over. in the last 2 years ive shot maybe 1500 rounds through this rifle and just love it! i have a whiz bang custom rifle, but my gpr will always hold a special place in my hart. oh yeah one biggie with the gpr, the like the bevel down in the cock.

im not one of these wipe between shots kinda guys either, and she shoots fine. i do have a brass brush to shove into the patten breach to keep it clean. thats a big deal with gpr's.

It is cold today about 30 degrees after a low of 5 this morning. I still had to try the new flint setup and the larger touchhole, 5/64th and coned on both sides. I shot 25 Bore Butter patched round balls at my favorite target. Those pesky paper plates that are so menacing! The 54 sure does a job on ”˜em. The patches look good with 60 grs of 3f and 4f in the pan. I was only 15 yards but I think this gun will also shoot better than I can hold it. I don’t believe the flints are going to last as long as they do in my TC Hawken.
I did not wipe, pick or clean just shot.

IMG_1236.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Someone should get Luie to look at those patches and ask him if that is how his looks. I have done all I can with him. He does not want to listen too much.

ebiggs said:
It looks to me as if the Lyman GPR factory gun is a "kit"!

Here's what a kit gun would look like if it wasn't built at the T/C factory...

1. We can talk about the ding in the ckeek piece from their lack of packing for even a 200 mile shipment.

TCRifle037.jpg

2. Or we can talk about their great new lock that I had to modify 2 springs on to get it to work smoothly.

TCRiflelock006.jpg

3. Or we can talk about their "gorgeous walnut"...

TCRifle032.jpg

4. Or we can talk about their bad vent/pan positioning or their poor wood to metal transition at the trigger and stock point. Had to send these 2 back to the T/C factory again - no photos

Yes I know. I went through all that myself. But the TC, I finally “made”, is a great gun. I have more than 1000 shots through it. It is easy on flints and shoots better than I can. When I get through with the GPR, I am sure it will do the same. I sure like the big 54. The vent hole on my GPR is not perfect but it is close. It is much closer than my first TC flintlock was. My GPR does not have a nice piece of wood either but hey, it’s hunting a rifle. Ain’t this fun?
EB

Latest posts

Back