• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR conversion to flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like convert my Lyman GPR from caplock to flint,anyone done this?I was thinking of using an LR replacement lock,would this be a good choice? My GPR is 54 cal,if that matters.Thanks in advance..Respectfully Montanadan

I aquired a GPR stock without lock or barrel. Ordered a 54 flint barrel from Lyman and installed an L&R RPL flintlock. The gun balances nicely and shoots great, one ragged hole over the bench at 50 yds wilh cast 535 ball, .022 mattress ticking, moose snot and 70 grs 3f. Ignition is fast with no problems. I did find the touchole needed to be opened to .070(#50 drill) also coned the inside and shortened as i found it protroded into the powder well by about .060 1&3/4 threads. Wish GM made a flint barrel to fit but am very pleased with the current setup.
Gill

I have a Lyman flint lock and .54 cal flint barrel on order to replace my cap lock and percussion .54 cal barrel on my GPR. I thought about getting an L&R replacement lock but if I had to do any inletting for it the original caplock wouldn't be able to go back in.

Gill thank you for responding,I have complete rifle.I guess my main question is do you need the flint barrel?(mine is percussion)..Respectfully Montanadan

Never mind about the barrel,I forgot how Lyman does their percussion barrels.I was thinking that it was drum style.Thanks for the responses...Russian blood I see your point,about converting back...Respectfully Montanadan

The inletting for the L&R lock only involves deepening the cut for the mainspring and will not upset the fit of the original lock, one can switch from one to the other without problems.

Thanks coyotejoe,Russianblood,I have three flinters.I do not have one in 54,good winter time project,soon as I finish cutting firewwod.Snowed here yesterday,did not last long,look as though wintr might be just aroung the corner.thanks again..Respectfully Montanadan

Gill,
Was the stock originally for a flintlock? I was wondering about converting a percussion GPR to flint, but the Lyman website does not recommend making that change.

If it would work out, it would be nice to change back and forth.

bowmaker said:
Gill,
Was the stock originally for a flintlock? I was wondering about converting a percussion GPR to flint, but the Lyman website does not recommend making that change.

If it would work out, it would be nice to change back and forth.

That is what I am doing. I need to do a little inletting of the stock to fit the lock. Not bigger, just deeper. And even though the flint barrel came with a new tang, it fits in my stock fine with the original one. I will have to file the barrel tenon slots a little to get the keys to fit. I'm hoping when I'm done, I'll be able to go back and forth between flint and percussion.

I had a GPR that was convertable. It used just the flintlock barrel and a modified caplock lock. To convert you just pulled the flint lock assmbly out and removed the vent liner, screwed in a drum and nipple and then put the cap lock with the lockplate that had been ground out to fit the drum on it and it was ready to go. One barrel, two locks.

So it sounds like everything is lining up pretty well. Does the Lyman flint lock require a lot of inletting or just a little?

I have replaced a TC flint lock with a L&R, and had to remove a lot of material. I was just wondering if the Lyman flint lock would require less work than the L&R on a GPR.

I would really like to know how your conversion turns out.

It looks like I only need to make the lock opening a little deeper where the flint pan goes. The caplock was flat and the flintlock protrudes some where the pan is.

Bowmaker,
Am not sure what the stock was origonally. You are right that lyman implies that if you convert to flint you can not go back however i wonder if that is with lyman locks only. Would it work if you used L&R locks for both flint and percussion? Maybe someone can shed more light on this. Although more expensive to use 2 L&R LRPs they are nice locks!

I finished converting my GPR to flint and I don't think going back to percussion is going to be practical. There will be a big gap between the barrel and the lock now that it has been inlet for the flint lock. :( If you want to go back and forth between percussion and flint, get a T/C. They don't have the same lock problem GPR rifles do.

montanadan,
Might want to check with "roundball",
I think he has done a lot of percussion to flint
changes.Not sure he works with Lyman though.
snake-eyes

Russianblod-Thanks for the heads up,I figured once i did the conversion,probably would not go back.have you had a chance to shoot yours yet? kinda curious about how good the lock is,I have heard both pro's and con's,thats why i asked.Thanks again for your input...Respectfully montanadan

Snake eyes,I thought I would PM Roundball this weekend.Glad to see the Snake is back,I like it.Thanks again for the Bee's wax,good grief you sent so much,still have not had to order any.Respectfully Montanadan..PS Stumpy's Moose Snot is the hot set-up CB revolvers.(warm or cold it just plain works)

montanadan said:
Russianblod-Thanks for the heads up,I figured once i did the conversion,probably would not go back.have you had a chance to shoot yours yet? kinda curious about how good the lock is,I have heard both pro's and con's,thats why i asked.Thanks again for your input...Respectfully montanadan

I'm using a Tom Fuller English 3/4" flint. I "dry fired" it a couple times and the sparks seem to be improving with use. I use 4f prime and 3f main charge so I'm hoping all goes well. So far it seems promising.

Latest posts

Back