• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR flint question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d50russ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I can't remember, on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle does it work best to put the bevel of the flint up or down?

Thanks!

And mine works with bevel down. I use 3/4 flints. Kirrmiester sent me some 5/8 flints, which also fit bevel down. Just have to try and see which is best in your lock.

Claude's right.
It not only changes from individual gun to gun but it can even depend on what the flint is wrapped in.

Not wanting to start another lead/leather war but the thickness of the wrap determines the forward/aft and up/down position of the flint. The individual length of the flint will also have an effect on just how the edge of the flint meets the frizzen (hammer).

What this all boils down to is each rifle/pistol is different and so are the components and they all must work together to work well.

Depending on the set up, you can get long flints to work bevel up and, after shooting and knapping till it is not working as desired, turn to bevel down to make the flint strike the frizzen near where it did earlier to gain a few more shots.

I am very interested in the rebound effect and may start a seperate string but what effect is a loose or weak frizzen spring? Years ago I shot with a fellow who used a large Siler with NO frizzen spring. Gun was fast and he was quite good with it. My frizzen shows two clear striking points.

TC

I agree with 40 Flint. I just switch to RPierce flints in my TC Renegade - 5 to 10 shots bevel up, flip it 5 - 10 shots bevel down, then repeat. I'm getting at least 30 more shots per flint than I did with TC sawn 10 more than english knapped. I'm still using the same flint 40+ strikes, fired shots and dry fire and primer fires.

Bill

I use Tom Fuller's 5/8" gun flints, bevel down, lead wrapped (fingernail-thin). Getting around 75-80 shots from most of them without ever having to really knapp an edge in the interim. Bevel up strikes WAY too low and obliquely in my gun. You just have to see what yours likes.

As all have said here, bevel up or bevel down is not important the object is to obtain a good shower of sparks directed to the center of the pan.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

ok i gotta stir the pot :stir: lol,,,,,i dont use flint any more in mine, lol,,,,ive discovered how to use Quartzite in mine, and wow you get a lot of shots off with this stuff!

karwelis

Back