• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Lock Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently removed, or rather attempted to remove the frizzen on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. The screw was extremely hard to get out to put it mildly. Upon removal the screw would not come out easily because it is bent. My question is where can I get a replacment for this screw or should I just take this as an oppurtunity to upgrade locks. I'm afraid if I get a new screw that maybe the hole in the frizzen is not aligned properly with the holes in the lock causing the screw to get bent when the frizzen is opened and closed. I do not want to go through the hassle of getting a new scrwe if my frizzen is just going to bend it again. The frizzen also does not close all the way on the pan (causing priming powder to leak out).

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Yeah I was gonna give them a call, but I figured that I would end up paying either way.

I don't mean to sound offensive, did you compress the frizzen spring before you tried to remove that screw? If not the tension of the spring and the slimness of the screw is a bad recipe for exactly what you describe. I just replaced my frizzen today with a heat treated one I had done months ago, and I almost did what you described until I compressed the spring with a mainspring removal tool. came out easy then. I would spend the couple bucks for a new screw, try it without the frizzen spring in it. If it threads in fairly easily it is much cheaper than the L&R lock. If it doesn't work it wasn't that big of a cost outlay.

I think cmdrted nailed it,it is easy to bend the screw if the spring is not properly compressed. Get another screw from Lyman and try as he says.

ayup, been there, done that :redface: ... seems that i've had lots of 'practical lessons about how locks work, many of which resulted in replacing a bunged up part.

either way, give Lyman a call- they're very helpful, and a bolt shouldn't set you back very far.

Thanks for the replies. I bet that is exactly what happened and I'll just get a new screw from Lyman.

I agree with other posters on trying a new screw. Always replace or modify the cheap part first! You may find the screw is a "service part"- one that must be replaced periodically.

Noticed you said the cover part of your frizzen doesn't close well on the pan. This was true on my left handed GPR flinter right out of the box. The front of the cover contacted the front of the pan, leaving a wedge shaped opening wider at the rear. This was a problem at our foothills range, where the winds blew the 4Fg priming out of the pan. It it took a good bit of spotting and stoning, but I finally got the cover to lay down flat. Well worth the effort, as this improved the approach angle between flint and frizzen face.

White Fox, in the People's Republic of Boulder

Thanks, I may have to give that a try. I usually lose most of my priming powder when hunting...

Since you are from Pennsylvania are you close to Dixon's? They are just east of Cabelas in Kempton Pa. Dixon's is the Lyman service center in the US, I bet they could help you out.
Good luck.

Back