• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR nose piece

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfwing82

36 Cal.
Reaction score
How do you remove the nose piece from the stock on a gpr kit? The nose piece is pinned in from factory
I want to remove them to finish metal. or do I do it while still on the stock ???

Yes, they are pinned on. VERY carefully remove the pins with the correct size punch. Make sure the punch fits and be cautious so you don't bugger up the wood.

seems to be a very small pin smaller than a finish nail. They have punches that small

Just be aware that the metal in the barrel channel is likely to be a little "proud" or high. Or it has been in several I have seen or built. In addition to finishing the outside, you may have to relieve the inside slightly for the best barrel fit into the stock. Your search for the right pin is good, because if you start relieving the barrel channel the cap will have to come on and off several times. And I too think 1/16" is the right one, if I recall correctly.

Not trying to put fear into you on the barrel channel, cuzz it's an easy job. In one I built the cap got a little "shifty" with the ons and offs, so I ended up glass bedding it into place, but with a good release agent so it could still be removed. Yet another heads up, but not an alarm bell.

If the pin hole gets bunged up when removing the pin several times to remove metal from the barrel mortise, just drill the hole out to the next pin diameter, and use a new, larger pin.

cowpoke1955 said:
If I remember right, I used a 1/16th" punch.

Yup. I just used a 1/16 drill bit.

Before re-installing I gave the pins a slight bend so the would go in good and tight.

HD

Huntin Dawg, when I refinished the metal on a Lyman GPR I too had the experience of the pin/hole combination loosening up. I used an electric engraving tool to sort of stipple the pin all over. This snugged it up quite nicely. As another touch, I browned the ends of the pins.

Fit of the nosecap did get a bit loose with on and off cycles as I had to do some filing to eliminate interference between the rib and nose cap. Solved by very lightly epoxy bedding, with plenty of Johnson's Paste Wax as release agent.

Regards to all,

White Fox

Back