• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR patent breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonegun1894

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, just couldnt find it. I have read several times here that a Lyman GPR has a patent breech. The comments were also always about caplocks. Do the flintlocks also have the patent breech, or is it just the caplocks? Thanks.

To my knowledge the flintlocks have them as well. I've never pulled the breechplug on mine... but am pretty sure it's a patent breech.

Aye, same barrel and plug configuration on all GPRs - but different locks and calibres. If you want the authoritative answer, Lyman's web site has the product manual available for viewing, or download, in PDF format. Same manual for all model GPRs also, BTW.

sounds like you gents have it right, again, as always. My GPR flinter came in today and just now checked it. I knew you all were gonna have the answer, just thought i'd ask before the gun got here. Just checked the thing and the patent breech looks to be about an inch and a half deep--eyeballing it between the two rods i used. Thanks. By the way, i think i remmeber someone posting that a .30 cal brush is what you all use to clean it, is that correct?

Paul

Paul, wish I'd read your question last week...I've been grinding down a chamber scraper to get it into the breech...and I haven't got it to work yet, either..Hank

Yeah, I think implements up to a .32 size will fit into the patent extension. I usually don't brush it myself. It's the only thing I ever use a loop jag for ('cause I got one for free and it doesn't do much good on anything else).

I've used a .308 brush and it fit, but that mates to a foreign, proprietary mil-surp cleaning rod so I don't feel like putting the whole thing together regularly. A routine swab with a potent solvent should keep anything from getting too crusty down there.

Hank,
Maybe that will help you with what you're doing. Besides, all the info that everyone posts has been helping me tremendously. Been reading these posts for a long time and learning, but just havent been posting much cause it always seemed like i didnt have much to contribute--most of my experience is with more modern weapons.

Thanks for all the help everyone has been so willing to give. You all have saved me a lot of headaches over the last few months, and i hope i can return the favor someday.

Paul

Back