• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nodakhorseman said:
BrownBear said:
One of each. I don't have it in front of me, but as I recall the front screw on the site base is a machine screw that engages the threads in the middle hole on the Lyman tang. The rear screw is a wood screw that goes through the tang and into the stock.

The more recently produced GPRs are factory ready for the installation of the Lyman peep (no need to drill and tap). Would I be safe to assume that this is the case for the T/C peep (even though Lyman is not on their list) on a GPR from your experience? If so, I'm going to be getting one.

From the sound of it, I'll be a real fan of the peep sight. I seem to take most of my hunting shots at first and last light of each day. I'll also enjoy the quickness of a peep. I also have trouble focusing with traditional iron sights at times.

You got it. None of my GPRs or my wife's Deerstalkers are over 5 years old, and the sight is a dropin on all of them. No drilling or tapping.

One stunt I learned is to leave the orginal rear sight in place till after you install the peep. Then look through the peep and adjust it till you get proper alignment of the original rear sight with the front sight. THEN remove the orginal rear sight from it's dovetail. Your peep sight will be sighted in correctly with no hassle whatsoever.

BrownBear: I know you shoot differently than I do, but you might consider using an idea I had to learn when shooting revolvers at long range, small targets. I focus on the front sight, of course, but because the front sight post is so much wider, comparatively, to the small target down range, I have learned to imagine a point in the center of the top edge of the post, and orient my front sight to the target by putting that imaginary line on the target( or under it.) The Elevation of the front sight post in my rear sight( open) determines hold over. With a peep sight, I would center the front post in the peep, and do as you do as far as adjusting the rear sight elevation so that I am aiming dead on. But, mentally splitting that front sight post down to a thin center line has helped me use old guns with horrendously wide front sight posts to shoot smaller groups. ( I did try to scribe an actual line on one front sight, but found it distracting.)

smokin .50 said:
Ron,

It sounds like you've got that peep sight nailed-down :thumbsup: . My son and I don't have a range longer than 135 yards, nor a rangefinder, but if we did, we'd be doing the same thing you did!

Accurate shot placement requiring no "hold-over" sure sounds like a good way to harvest game!

My son Andy doesn't want to put the globe sight on the front of his trade rile. I bought him the peep and the globe at the same time. He is always good with the sights on my M-1 Garrand, and just feels comfortable without the globe. So far, he's won several league competitions at two different BP clubs's matches, including a Meat Shoot (first place, filet mignon) and high over-all at a cup shoot where a trophy is won. He's putting 5 shots through a single ragged hole at 10 rods' distance. I don't want to discourage him or take any of the challenge/fun away of doing it "his way", so I just leave well-enough alone, if you know what I mean :wink:

Thanks again for a great "how-to" post on the Lyman Peep!

Dave

A lot of people don't need the kind of distance a Lyman 57 SML can give them. The area they hunt, the game they hunt, it all makes a difference.
It sounds like your son has got what he needs down pat and that is good. Here is a picture of the Lee Shavers Globe with the level.

frontsight1.jpg

The level on the globe sight steps the accuracy up a notch by removing the canting from the equitation. At ranges under 150 yards they probably won’t help much on game like elk or deer. On Rock chucks or ground squirrels the extra bit of accuracy is great the nice thing is the level is removable if you don’t want to use it, or for cleaning.
Here is what my 45 with the 1-18 twist looks like. It has the Lyman 57 SML and the Lee Shavers globe with the level.
458bennitmountainmag2.jpg

My son says that if they made a movie about Quigly down under's father, This would be the rifle he would shoot. :thumbsup:
Ron

For a 14 year old he is a great kid, and my best friend, This is Jacob. Ron

Jacobdeer08-3-A.jpg

It's great to read that your son is your best friend :) . My best friend is a college sophomore, and sometimes the 1.75 hour driving distance seems like a world away :( . Andy comes home next weekend, and lots of lead is going to be pumped into the ground soon after :) :thumbsup: . After all, isn't that what we should do with our best friends??

God put lead on this Earth--Andy & I are trying our best to pump as much as we can back into where it came from :haha:

Happy Holidays

Dave

"the greeks and romans had peep sights on their crossbows"

True but that has nothing to do with the use of modern design peeps sights on replica or semi replica ML's, a lot of people point to the fact that some MLs in the late flint period or earlier had peeps which is true but the technology an design of the modern peeps does not put them on the same level, I wish someone would make some peeps based on the 1800-1830 designs so the peep sight shooters could have a traditional type to choose from.My guess is that most would still use the modern improved style.

I have not seen any reference to that site bing based on an original maybe someone could bring ne up to speed on the date of that sight.

BrownBear said:
I've got it on one of my GPRs and it works really well, but it's awfully big. On my other GPRs and my wife's Deerstalker I mounted the T/C Hunter Style Tang Mount Peep Sight (No.7194). They're a little cheaper at under $50 from Midsouth and just over $50 at Cabelas.

BrownBear,

I just ordered the T/C peep from Midsouth. Thanks for all of your answers and advice. I'll let you know what I think when it arrives and I've had a chance to dial it in.

I think the peep will be just my ticket. I'm an avid shotgunner and I have scopes on all of my centerfire rifles. When using standard iron sights, I have to think when sighting. I think a peep will be instinctive for me.

Take care.

Back