• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR trigger question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvbirdman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I liked my GPR caplock so much that I built a GPR flint, but I have a question about the trigger.
On my caplock I can use the trigger either set or unset, but on the flint I have to set the trigger. Is this correct? I don't care about PC, I just want to know if it's correct for the GPR.

No, my flinter wasn't a kit, but I could fire it without setting the trigger.

When set up properly you can set the trigger or cock the lock in any sequence which is normal for this double trigger, double lever set trigger assy.
Had the same problem with a GPR flint i assembled with L&R lock. Had to grind a small amount off the lock sear bar.
When the trigger is set the trigger bar moves lower and this gives more clearance between the trigger bar and the lock sear bar.
If the trigger assy sits too deep in the mortise it can also cause the same problem.
This trigger assy also has a backlash adjustment (behind the rear trigger)however i am not sure if it can cause the problem you have.
the trigger bar can also be filed or ground to give more clearance but i would only do this as a last resort as it reduces the mass of the trigger bar and might not fire the lock.
good luck!

If you can cock the rifle without having to set the trigger, then either the trigger is not set deep enough or inletted a little too far back.

I have one rifle that needs to be set before it will fire. It is a double set like yours and should trip the lock set or unset. The trigger set that was put in the rifle was off another rifle that burned up in a fire. The triggers had been taken down to fit the other rifle and I did not get them quite deep enough in the new rifle.

You should pull the lock and check how the triggers move into the sear hole. If the behavior really bothers you, you may want to build up the front trigger blade a little to get a closer engagement with the sear.

Latest posts

Back