• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR Wedge wont go..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ropes4u

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Early christmas was a GPR flint lock - left handed :wink:

I cannot get the front wedge in it looks to be off just a tad, it looks to be hitting the top of the escutcheon . I am putting it in from the right side - looking butt to barrel.

I have a large screw driver and hammer ready to bend or beat this into submission but I am guessing I should file or sand the wedge?

Better ideas?

The slot on the barrel is straight, it looks like I could relive a little more wood but it may still hit the escuteon.

It also looks like the set trigger isn't working. I knew there would be issues to work out but their quality control dude should not have signed the sheet with so much pride.

In all honesty, read the owner's manual on how to install the wedge and what to do if it's not a perfect fit, only advice I know.

Folks seem to glorify Lyman GPRs and then find a herd of problems with them. I feel your frustration, from wedges, to locks and to triggers.

Seems you should not have to work on a new rifle to make it work that you just paid $500 for.

r

Sometimes the wedges will have a slight bend to them.
This can cause them to look absolutely wrong if they have one side up but by turning them over they suddenly will go in place without using a lot of force.

If it still won't go after trying it 'upside down', check the slots to see if there is a wood chip or something getting in the way.

Some have found that the problem is that the tang block is installed too deeply. Loosening the tang screw that holds the block just a bit may allow the barrel to move so the wedges will line up with the slot.
If this happens, putting a thin metal shim under the stock tang block to raise it slightly will allow the screw to be tightened while the barrel will still assemble correctly with the wedges.

If the slots are clear you may have to put the little bend into the wedge that will make it work.

I know this sounds slightly funky but unfortunately sometimes a little "adjustment" is needed with a lot of factory made guns today.

Richard Eames said:
In all honesty, read the owner's manual on how to install the wedge and what to do if it's not a perfect fit, only advice I know.

Folks seem to glorify Lyman GPRs and then find a herd of problems with them. I feel your frustration, from wedges, to locks and to triggers.

Seems you should not have to work on a new rifle to make it work that you just paid $500 for.

r

Sadly I didn't check the manual very closely and it looks like an easy fix. :doh:

HMMM, sounds like the Lefty GPR inspector also inspected mine!! Two trips to the Log Cabin Shoppe,Hammer wouldn`t fall past half Cock, and one trip to Lyman for a new Trigger assembly!! Sounds like the Wedge Pin needs a little bend put in it to clear it from catching on the opposite side.

STOP dont do a thing till you read the manual,,go to page 23 middle of the page,,NOTE the wedge pins are different lengths.Next Turn the wedge pin over and see if it goes. go to page 21 "Fitting the Wedge Pins"explains the entire process,PS you might get to use a hammer,,if it makes you warm and fuzzy :haha:
If you aren't willing to fine tune your rifle, GPR, why have it..I have one that shoot off sided, and wouldn't sell ,swap or trade it for any other.
Mighty fine rifle.
There are two Depot Texas,,,,go figure,,which one you living in??

Zonie said:
Sometimes the wedges will have a slight bend to them.
This can cause them to look absolutely wrong if they have one side up but by turning them over they suddenly will go in place without using a lot of force.

If it still won't go after trying it 'upside down', check the slots to see if there is a wood chip or something getting in the way.

Some have found that the problem is that the tang block is installed too deeply. Loosening the tang screw that holds the block just a bit may allow the barrel to move so the wedges will line up with the slot.
If this happens, putting a thin metal shim under the stock tang block to raise it slightly will allow the screw to be tightened while the barrel will still assemble correctly with the wedges.

If the slots are clear you may have to put the little bend into the wedge that will make it work.

I know this sounds slightly funky but unfortunately sometimes a little "adjustment" is needed with a lot of factory made guns today.

The wedge is hitting the top of the left side just a bit, after some sleep i I will try to clean it up a bit and try again.

I am excited and glad to have the gun, just wish I had ordered all the powder and supplies before she gave it to me. But I have plenty of time to get this worked out before I get it all gathered up..

Thank for the help everyone and Merry Christmas!

My cats learned a lot of new words when my GPR arrived, the wife finally said, read the damn instructions, I sure hate it when she is correct.

r

My left hand percussion 50 cal Lyman Deerstalker had the wedge that touched a little too. No matter what I did it was too tight to slip into place. Rather than beat on it, I tried upside down etc., even flipped the escutcheon 180 degrees. Didn't try the tang thing though. Ended up giving the escutcheon a light tough with a file. Now fits perfect.

Sperit de bois said:
There are two Depot Texas,,,,go figure,,which one you living in??

North East Texas, outside of Paris Texas..

Wedges are now the same size, shower and file time..

All Traditions, CVAs and GPRs are kits no matter where they were made! :hmm:
You might want to file slight bevels on the edges of the wedges to make them self align a little better. Besides reading the manual.

"... the edges of the wedges ..." that's cool! :grin:

And its together, set trigger is working though a bit stiff but I am content for now.

Ordering the below today anything I should change?

Range Rod
3/4 x 3/4 english black flints
530" round balls, pure lead, Hornady
Cleaning patches pre soaked
Shooting patches, .018" pillow ticking, wonder-lube
Shooting patches, .015" cotton, wonder-lube
Ball Puller
Pan Charger
Goex powder can lid with spout
Thompson Center clear powder measure - I will make one also.
Short Starter - I will also make one
Black powder cleaning kit

I don't know what is in your "Black Powder Cleaning Kit" but all you really need is a cleaning jag (grooved brass plug) that has the same size threads that your range rod has in its end and some regular cleaning patches and is made for your guns caliber.

A little dishwashing soap in a bucket of water is the only cleaning solution you will need.

I just tested out some Shenandoah Valley lube and cleaner, and while I didn't shoot all day without cleaning, I was shooting more than cleaning. I am sure someone on here can give you a recipe for something very similar, that you can brew up in your workspace.

Got two GPR's and they're different as night and day. There's no standardization with such tolerances. Each rifle is a kit.

Ropes4u, On the left-handed GPR the wedges enter from the left , and the wedges are of different lengths with the longer one used at the rear. Its not a big difference but side by side you can see it. Ric

Went and read up on the wedge pins and how they go in,,,according to the Owner's Manual pg 23, center of the page under NOTES: "Both wedge pins install from right to left.This is true for right or left-hand rifles"Sights same right to left.

Latest posts

Back