• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptleo1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I built my current GPR (54 Flint)

For a rainy day/back up gun.

I was not worried about being PC.

The sights that came with it just did not work for me.

I put a Lyman peep and a fiber optic front sight on it.

Boy, that did the trick !

Although I have 6 custom rifles I have to admit that most hunting situations the GPR is usually the best weapon for the job (Modern sights, plenty of power, easy to handle, cheap to replace if lost or stolen).

That being said I just finished up a .62 Jaeger with express sights that I believe will become my primary hunting gun.

I proof tested it with 125gr of FFF=Absolutely devestating !!

Deer and plinking load will probably be 60-90 gr.

I still have to work that out.

The cool thing about the GPR is the more you shoot them the better they get.

Good Luck with yours.

Hello from Germany!

Have one in .54! It is only fun!
Good shooters, nice handling and very accurate!

Regards

Kirrmeister

I just got my 16 yr old son a flinter in .50.

It goes off reliably shot after shot, is accurate, and is easy to clean. He is using wonderlube.

He's using 30gr ffg for close range and is deciding between 60 and 80 gr for 100yd.

It is great for father son stuff!

Would like to know what the Lyman rear sight was and the fiber optic typ was.Thank You and what was the most accuracy load you use in your GPS. Thank You drpepper

The peep is a standard Lyman made for the GPR.

The number 57 comes to mind.

You can go th the Lyman website and find it easy.

The guys from TRU-Glow made the front sight for me
less than 20 bucks.

My GPR is a 54 flinter and probably likes 87gr of fff the best.

My hunting load is 110gr fff- which is really overkill but it really is a thumper.

During the process of working up a load for it the sweet spots seemed to be around 57gr and 87gr.

The 110gr load opened up the groups about an inch but the difference in hitting power is significant.

With the peep and my 57 year old eyes a coyote sized animal is dead meat out to 125 yds (With a good rest !!!)

That being said, my furthest kill with this rifle is a 200# hog @ 88yds (used a laser range finder later to verify the range)

In general I believe that Max effective hunting range with most flintlocks is probably about 75 yds and ANY shot further than that should only be taken with extreme caution.

I am extremely patient when it comes to shot placement and will pass if every thing is not damn near perfect. I have been blessed and have taken way more than my share of whitetails one more more or less is not going to make a big difference.

If it ends up that you start practicing 100 yds+
learn as much as you can about the wind. Its effect on a PRB at 100yds + never ceases to amaze me.

As for my 110 gr load PLEASE go slowly.

Several friends shoot 125-140 in their GP Rs, but I think that is a little extreme for the average whitetail and an unnecessary strain on the gun and the shooter.

My new toy is a .62 Jaeger.

I started load development at 50gr of ff, once I got past 75 gr of powder the accuracy keeps getting better and better. I am up to 125 now and guesstimate that the sweet spot will probably be somewhere around 140gr - Talk about a thumper !!!!!!!

Using that much powder makes me chuckle cuz my PRB load for my .62 Tulle is 60gr and it has taken 5 deer up to 225# -Go Figure

Seems that I am rambling.

Good Luck with your GPR and let me know if I can help with anything

God Bless

Leo

Capt Leo,

Did you order their regular 3/8s dovetail sight or did they have to fabricate one as Lyman has a non standard dovetail. I seem to recall that their dovetails were smaller, but my memory is not that great.

CS

I took a large doe at 75 yards last Saturday, with my GPR .54. I was using 85 grains of Goex 3f and a patched round ball. It was a complete pass through that took out both lungs. She still traveled 60 to seventy yards before piling up.
Old Charlie

CrackStock said:
Capt Leo,

Did you order their regular 3/8s dovetail sight or did they have to fabricate one as Lyman has a non standard dovetail. I seem to recall that their dovetails were smaller, but my memory is not that great.

CS

The dovetails are cut to a metric size, thus to use a 3/8" one you will have to open it up a bit.
:thumbsup:

I'm hesitant to open metric dovetails, just in case I get too enthused and take off too much. I've always cut down the sight, and it works fine. In my view, sights are cheaper than barrels. If I was changing sights all the time, I'd more than likely go ahead and open the dovetail to 3/8".

Back