• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

grains to drams conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting tired of measuring out powder on the spot while shooting.

I know alot of people roll paper "cartridges" but I've been thinking about picking up a lot (144) of those glass vials from the container shop. They only run about 40 bucks, which is what? 30 cents each?

They sell them in "dram" quantities, and I can't figure out how many drams are in a target load, which is for me....about 60 grains (I shoot fifty cal).

Does anyone know the conversion?

From Wikipedia

The dram is the mass of 1⁄256 pound avoirdupois or 1⁄16 ounce. So the dram weighs 875⁄32 grains or about 1.771845 grams.

What Oldnamvet said is correct. Skipping the math, 1 dram = 27.3 grains

Glass anything is a good way to see broken glass, and that is not nice to have at the bottom of your possibles bag. I would recommend getting plastic bottles, or vials to use for this purpose.

I used to smoke cigars. I kept the plast cigar Tubes that Garcia y Vega cigars came in, cut them down, and used them to carry pre-measured charges in my bag when I was deer hunting. I didn't bother with this at the range, but understand the need for them, particularly if you are doing a lot of testing, or shooting with your gun(s). Check the Hobby stores and see if you can't find something in plastic that works. It may not be P/C, but then, any kind of tube other than horn, antler, or wood would not be P/C for carrying powder.

My brother got some brass tubing really cheap, and cut the tubing down to make the same kind of container for pre-measured powder charges. He bought cork stoppers at a hobby store, and has done something I have now forgotten to seal one end of them. He does a lot of testing when he shoots every Tuesday. So, for him, the tubes make a lot of sense. He doesn't have to worry about those brass tubes breaking on him either.

Have you considered using large caliber rifle casings, with a stopper in the top for this same work? Depending on your load, you can pick and choose the cartridges you select for the charges. You can turn down wooden stoppers for them, or buy the cork stoppers in the common sizes at the hobby stores. :hmm: :hatsoff:

plastic perscription bottles work for me,the kind with out the child safety caps. Maybe you could get a drugist to sell them to you without the labels glued to them?

I use poly test tubes to hold my pre-measured powder. They fit neatly in a MTM Case Gard cartridge holder. Don't recall who I bought mine from, but here's a link to another supplier & they look similar to the ones I use. http://www.testtubesonline.com/Plastic_Test_Tubes_s/23.htm
You may have to buy more than you need, but I had no problem selling my extras to shooting buddies for a modest profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back