• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

grains to ounces

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Bays

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Saw a chart on here a while ago that shows grain measure of shot in ounces. Anybody have a link to that., couldn't seem to find it in a search. Thanks

It's been a good reference chart for me...used it a lot getting started into smoothbore shot loads.
Brought to us years ago by former member 'Musketman'...

Just bought a new englander from gunbroker this is my first smoothie so l bet this will definatly come in handy.

And if I may suggest something...there seems to be an awful lot of "old sayings" associated with muzzleloading...coined back during a different time with different knowledge...and as it turns out many of them are not necessarily strongly rooted in fact...LOL.

But there are a couple which do seem to hold water, and one of them to remember when doing load development / pattern testing is: "Little powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead"
Go easy on the powder charges and you'll be surprised how good of a pattern you get...enjoy.

Back