• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandpa's Old Guns 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithen

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, a while ago I posted trying identify some of my grandfather's old gun, you can find the old post here http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258248/post/1003266/hl//fromsearch/1/ , anyway, I went to a civil war re-enactment the other day and I brought them with me to see if anyone could help me with them. As it turns out they could. They told me that the first rifle in the old post was an old 1860's springfield but had the berrel shortend, stock shortend, and had a difforent lock put on to it. They told me this was common for people wanting to convert their old war rifle into a hunting shotgun they can use around the farm. Unfortunatly we still can't figure out what lock it is. Now the second gun everyone in the encampment was very interested in. No one seemed to be able to figure out the make of the gun but they were able to tell me that it was either Swedish or German made. They said they believed the rifle to also be from around the 1860's and that everything was hand crafted with very fine attention. I actually overheard a few of them remark that if they knew it wasn't going to stay in the family they would buy it :haha: So I just thought I would keep you all updated on it all.

Thanks!
Tyler

Last edited by a moderator:
Swapped out the butt-plate, trigger and bow, different lock, barrel shortened and it's been restocked.

If you squint and hold it up to the sun . . .

100MEDIA_IMAG0102.jpg

200662613526_Cropped%20resized%201861%20Rifle%20Musket%20lock%20plate%20marking.JPG

I was told that the borrel was shortend, when they held up an original next to it the bore looked almost exactly the same, they showed that on the original there was a smille line in the middle of the bore next to the lock, that one had the same. They also showed that right where the rear sights were in the exact same spot however on my old one the sights they were taken off and filed down.

Tyler

I'm afraid I must agree.
The barrel may very well be a shortened Springfield but I don't know of any way to replace the Springfield lock with a back action lock without making a new stock.

Agreed, maybe a Springfield barrel but otherwise a complete new gun built around it, a Springfield stock could not be reshaped to look like that even if one could replace the lock with a back action.

Back