• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grandson's First Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My grandson went on his first hunt today. No, he wasn't carrying a gun, but he was definitely hunting since he was the one that spied both the squirrels we got first! He just turned 9, so high time he finally went out.

Shortly after we got into the woods we found this big buck rub. I think it will be a few years before he can shoot my Virginia Smoothie!

020114Quintinsfirsthunt.jpg

I had just been telling him that sometimes you won't see a squirrel, but will see some snow fall off a tree and it might be a squirrel that knocked it loose. Looking off through the woods I saw a little snow fall from a tree...then another. We headed over that way. I stayed on one side and sent him to the other. The squirrel took off like it had a fire lit under it. We watched it go about 100 yards then disappeared on a tree. When we went over there I could see a hole in it that was probably the squirrel's nest. Just then my grandson said "Papa, there's a squirrel in a tree down there!" Sure enough, a gray was out just sitting on a limb. We headed that way and the squirrel just sat there. At 25 yards I had a clear shot. The pressure was on! Papa had better make the shot!!! Well, my aim was true and the squirrel was dead before it hit the ground.

020114QuintinSawThisGrayFirst.jpg

Even though we hadn't been out long, Quintin's toes were cold, so after I cleaned the squirrel we built a fire and cooked some dogs.

020114MakingLunch.jpg

020114MakingLunch2.jpg

020114MakingLunch4.jpg

After he got warmed up again we dowsed the fire and headed off again in search of squirrels. We hadn't gone but 100 yards when Quintin saw another squirrel. He whispered and pointed to a small tree on the edge of a small outcropping. Sure enough, there was a big fox squirrel. We were able to work up close enough and the Virginia did it's job again.

QuintinSawthisBigFoxSquirrel.jpg

020114QuintinSawThisGrayFirst2.jpg

Unfortunately, his feet were cold again by the time I got done cleaning this big fox squirrel, so we decided to go back to the truck and head for home. It was kind of a short hunt, but hopefully a great first experience for him. He saw how to clean squirrels and got some anatomy lessons to boot.

And while we didn't do it today, we'll have the squirrel meat another day. We just prepped it up and put it in the freezer for now.

020114ReadyfortheFreezer.jpg

Looks like a great first hunt, he will be sure to remember it!

Yes, just as well it ended before he really got miserable and tainted the idea of hunting...should be a good memory for him the way it turned out.
:thumbsup:

Good show. Great hunt, good times, and nothing like hot dogs over a camp fire. Love it. And man, that one squirrel is as big as a cat!

:thumbsup: great hunt!, I am sure he will remember it for a long time to come. I have special memories of the times I spent with my grandpa, even after fifty years I have not forgotten.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great job of mentoring a young one :hatsoff: Griz

Ain't it great when I started taking my grandson hunting it was like discovering something new for him and me, to him it was all new and exciting and to me it was a great thing to see someone that fired up and willing to put any effort necessary there was no quit in that kid. We still talk about that first hunt and he is 25 years old now

Looks like you just made a new convert to the sport...my heartiest congratulations. Might look around and find him a .32 Cherokee or .36 Seneca for starts so he can grow into a longer rifle. That and a warmer pair of snow boots will get him really going. I'm so delighted to see a young man like that getting a big charge out of going to the woods with Gramps!

Looked like a great time to be afield! Congrats on the tree rats. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing...that was the perfect way to get a young'n growing in the right direction...especially needed in todays world of speed and high tech gear...you done good hoss! :v

Super story. Great hunt. My Grandson is now 19yo and has taken 24 whitetails with 24 pulls of the trigger. I taught him well shooting gophers when he WAS YOUNG.

Thank you for sharing this!

That are really nice pictures and it looks like you had a wonderful day.

I am afraid you spoiled the guy and there is no turning back now :grin:

Silex

Back