• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gray finish with phosphoric acid ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a Walker kit on the way and thinking about how I want to finish it.
I like the look of a gray or what some call french gray. From searching on the forum, I have seen it mentioned that using phosphoric acid or navel jelly will produce a nice grey finish.

Would like to see some pics and information from folks who have done it, and the pro, and con,s.

Also would be interest in other ways to get it gray.

Thanks
Bill

Here's the only closeup I have, but I used naval jelly on the loading lever and it's barely a shade darker than whatever Uberti's finish is. I wouldn't call it gray.
IMG_1289.jpg

I'd love to know what they use for their antique finish. I've been told it's a finish and not just bare metal or in the white.
IMG_7500.JPG

Thanks Pacanis.

Both pistolas look good. I really like the engraving on the 58.

It doesnt look like the NV etched the metal very deep, and that's good.

I am just thinking a nice, aged gray looking finish would be perfect for the Walker. Dont really want a new looking finish on this one.

Thanks again
Bill

Birchwood Casey's Blue and Rust remover will give you the exact dull gray look you're looking for.

The bare metal is about eight years old at this point. An annual wiping down with Ballistol has kept her in great shape.

If a pic of a modern gun is against TMF rules, please feel free to remove.

Attachments

• IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Birchwood Casey's Blue and Rust remover will give you the exact dull gray look you're looking for.
Thanks 64Springer.

I'm guessing that I would apply the BC blue then rub it back with the rust remover ?

I have some Oxpho blue paste from brownells, think that would work in ace of the BC ?

Apply rust remover with 0000 steel wool and rub. Bluing comes off like magic.

If you want to go the extra mile, use fine jewelers' files and 320 paper to remove every sharp edge.

It will feel like you're holding onto a warm stick of butter.

The bare metal is about eight years old at this point. An annual wiping down with Ballistol has kept her in great shape.

If a pic of a modern gun is against TMF rules, please feel free to remove.

Very nice.
Did you do anything extra to get the specks of patina?

Very nice.
Did you do anything extra to get the specks of patina?
Painted the surfaces with a burned black powder slurry and put it the bathroom with steam for a few hours. Get the room steamy then turn off the shower.

Then sprinkled the parts with table salt and let them cook for a while.

The trick is to not get the parts too wet. Too wet will wash the slurry from the parts. You want just humidity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back