• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greaseholes in the stock..like them?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Do any of you guys find greaseholes in rifle stocks handy? Maybe even nearly indispensible? Perhaps you find them absurd. :idunno:

In other words, tell me your opinions of using greaseholes while hunting, plinking, etc.

Many thanks! Skychief.

no experience with them. i can tell you i think they look horrible, and i'm not sure how good they are for the wood. just my opinion.

I work real hard to keep my bores in good shape. No way I'd rassel that exposed grease through dirt and grime on a typical hunt, then grind it down the bore of my rifle on a lubed patch!

Oh yeah, and I don't like the looks.

I built a southern mountain rifle and could have put a grease hole in the stock, but chose not to.
You got me thinking about putting one in now. So I am curious also what others have to say. Presently I use precut patches and lube them myself, keeping them in a baggie, not pc at all. Most of my hunting is sub-freezing and don't know how well this would work or what lube to use. My prelubed patches are kept in a shirt pocket and stay warm. If nothing else, a grease hole would be another conversation item that most non-traditional shooters would be scratching their heads about.

This is my observation and experience, too. One club member, who had a greasehole in his stock, got so disgusted with it, that he had a patch box put over the hole, and cut out the stock under the lid of the PB, to hold--- PATCHES!

His comment to the rest of us( I was new to the club, and didn't even own a ML rifle) was that he had to first use a patch to wipe off the surface grit, lint, and whatever flew by and stuck to the grease, OFF, throw that patch away, and then use a new patch to actually get some lube on it to use with his ball to reload his rifle. He also complained of getting grease on his clothing, and in the summer months, having his grease melt in the sun and stream down his stock.

He Convinced the rest of us to avoid grease holes in stocks. Having observed that, I still occasionally see shooters with grease holes in their stocks, and they seem fine with it. TO EACH HIS OWN! :thumbsup: :surrender: :hmm:

An oldtimer here told me that they would press a patch into the grease to "cover" it. That would then be the first patch used when loading.

I`ve owned two rifles with them and never used the grease holes..

I like them and they work fine. IMO no Gillespie ot Tennessee rifle should be without one. You guys worry too much about the bore. Your ramrod is wearing it out faster than anything else.

I don't like them for a number of reasons and I use a liquid, not grease, lube. Since I have no use for one, I'll have either a patchbox or smooth surface. They don't look all that good, either, but many swear by them.

Don't like just a grease hole tho touted to be correct for a poor boy. Might put some grease under a patch box and keep it clean. I don't now put anything in the patch boxes so.......?

Mark Lewis said:
I like them and they work fine. IMO no Gillespie ot Tennessee rifle should be without one. You guys worry too much about the bore. Your ramrod is wearing it out faster than anything else.

Not even close. Our soil around here has a high component of volcanic ash. You ought to see what it will do to an engine if you don't stay right on top of your oil changes. That stuff isn't getting anywhere near my bores.

I put one in the rifle I built because I kind of did fancy the way it looked with one. However having said that I filled it with a hard lube so it would not leak during hot days and thats it. I do not use it for reasons stated about getting grit in the bore but like I said before I like the way it looks and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that good stuff.

I think it's more of a type of "School" of gun where they are found. I've never seen one on any New England style, not saying someone somewhere here did not use one at one time but you won't find one on any of my guns.

I have no use for them. They make a mess, attract insects and maybe even critters while camping (I do use tallow primarily for my patch lube). I'd prefer a patchbox. I'll have the gun loaded with a lubed patch when I go out hunting or such but any reloads in the field will be done with spit on the patches. I don't carry grease with me. Patchboxes are handy for keeping the patches in one place and organized (I do know some people don't like patchboxes).

mcsteinscamp said:
I've seen compartments to put a tube or container of grease/lube in a stock, but never an actual grease hole. Does anyone happen to have a picture?

S6300076-600x276.jpg

Skychief said:
Do any of you guys find greaseholes in rifle stocks handy? Maybe even nearly indispensible? Perhaps you find them absurd. :idunno:

In other words, tell me your opinions of using greaseholes while hunting, plinking, etc.

Many thanks! Skychief.

The grease was probably used to waterproof the pan. The grease gets too dirty to use for patches.

Dan

I don't own a rifle that would be "correct" with a grease hole, but if I did or ever do it will have one in order to fit the style and school. Would put some fairly hard grease in it for appearances and not use it on my patches.

Back