• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

great squirrel hunt with papaw !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
this weekend i went up to my grandpas house to spend some quality time squirrel hunting with him. he said that that there were plenty of squirrels around. so i got up early and made the 1 1/2 hour drive to his house. i got there around 10:30. we talked for a little while then geared up for the hunt. i decided to use his pedersoli blue ridge 32 flinter and he was going to take the henry 22 lever action for backup. we walked out to the edge of woods and were instantly greeted with 2 squirrels. i took aim at the closer of the 2 squirrels but i wasnt forsure how the gun was sighted in. i held a fine bead and shot. the squirrel ran away unharmed as the shot hit the dirt under it. i missed it a couple times with the henry as it went for safety. all of a sudden 2 black squirrels show up. i reload and take aim. it was a 40 yard shot. i shot but hit again just under it. the squirrel didnt know wat has happening and it gave me a chance to fire a few 22 shorts its way. nothing connected. the other black squirrel ran into a farther tree and sat there looking around. i had a perfect shot at it but it was pretty far, around 55 yards. this time i loaded a 22 long rifle, aimed, and took an offhand shot at the squirrel. with a pop the squirrel fell dead out of the tree. i couldnt belive it. i ran up and got it and went back to our hide out, to wait for another squirrel. it was a nice young male black squirrel
1024001147a1.jpg

a few minutes later i looked up to see a grey squirrel in the tree right next to where i had shot the black squirrel from. i grabbed the 32 and was determined to get a squirrel with it. i snuck up and got into position. now it was a waiting game for the squirrel to give me a clear shot. as i was waiting i looked over to see a funny looking black limb on the side of a tree. i blinked a couple times and relized it was a black squirrel sitting there watching me. i signaled to papaw that there were 2 different squirrels and got ready for the shot. the wind started blowing and the squirrel was moving back and forth thru my sights. i held the front sight in line with the top of the rear sight and got ready. all of a sudden the wind stopped and the squirrel sat dead inline with my sights. i touched the trigger and with a KkBoom..the squirrel went limp and fell off the tree. i was very excited that i connected with the squirrel.it was a nice 35 yard shot. i looked up to see the grey squirrel still in the tree. i reloaded and decided to sneek closer. as i was closing the distance i heard papaw whistling. i looked to see him pointing to my left, i turned to see another black squirrel heading right to me. i took a hastly shot and shot right over the squirrel. it ran up the same tree as the grey and tried to hide. i reloaded and walked around,trying to get a good shot. finally i had a angling shot at the back side of its vitals. i got ready to take the almost straight up offhand shot. i got ready, held my breath, and started squeezing the trigger. right as the trigger broke a gust of wind blew and moved the branch the squirrel was on. instead of a perfect vital shot, the roundball struck the squirrel in the leg. the squirrel ran halfway down the tree then hid on a limb. papaw came over with the 22 so i could finish it off quickly. i took the 22 and aimed to shoot the squirrel in the head. i shot and hit the limb, knocking the squirrel off the tree. i tried to lever another shell in but it jammed. the squirrel was quickly getting away.i got the gun unjammed,threw it up and shot at the fast fleeing squirrel. somehow i managed to hit the squirrel on the run. i ran up and finished the squirrel. papaw came over and told me wat good shooting i did. we walked over to the first squirrel that i shot with 32 and we saw that i had hit the squirrel between the eyes, completely blowing its head off. papaw couldnt belive what a shot i made on that squirrel. it was a nice deep black large male black squirrel. the 3rd squirrel looked like a mix between a fox and black squirrel.
10240011481.jpg

it was a wonderful hunt. we only walked about 50 yards in all. all 3 squirrels were shot within 20 yards of each other. we took them back to the house where granny cooked up a mean dish of fried squirrel with a side of squirrel grazy over papaw's signature sourdough biscuts. it was a meal for kings. i had a great time and i love being with papaw. he is the one that introduced me to this amazing sport. he is my mentor and the one i look up to.he is the best grandpa anyone could ask for. enjoy SS
10240011471.jpg

Congrats on your harvest! Sounded like a great time and a great meal. There is nothing better than a great hunt with family and friends. :thumbsup:

Great story, great hunt, thanks for sharing it with us. Man I like those little Blue Ridge/Frontier rifles. Surprising what a 32 will do to a squirrel, too, huh? :thumbsup:

Spot

I really enjoyed the hunt with Snip, he one of the best. Makes me proud to be his Paw paw. I ready wanted him to have the shots. I had killed 3 squirrels a week before with my .32 CVA squirrel with 3 shots. I had fun just watching him, it was great. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

It does my heart good to see young people take to the outdoors and shooting sports. especially black powder. May you have a long and wonderful journey. May you always be safe and help others along the way. And by the way, I think that papaw has a keeper too.

Vern

Back