• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain Barrel guestion....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to get a .40 cal. Green Mt. barrel for my .50 cal. T/C Hawken. Will the point of inpact stay the same when the barrels are taken off and put back on? Or will they need lined in again? Thanks....

Some times the POI will shift. This is one of the reasons target shooters sometimes make tang and breechplug all one unit.

Lead slinger,
you thinking of getting the 32 inch or the longerbarrel?
curious, as I'm about to do the same for my TC!

Brett

Lead Slinger said:
I would like to get a .40 cal. Green Mt. barrel for my .50 cal. T/C Hawken. Will the point of inpact stay the same when the barrels are taken off and put back on? Or will they need lined in again? Thanks....
They always have for me...now I'm sure in some ultimate scientifically controlled labratory with laser beam measurements some tiny change might be detected, but from a practical point of view, I've never seen any difference...and remember, the sights are attached to the barrel, not back on the tang...so the sight alignment with the bore never changes...the only possible change would be some microscopic tilt left or right...but I don't know how you'd measure/detect it.

the sights are attached to the barrel, not back on the tang

unless your usin a peep ,,

roundball said:
and remember, the sights are attached to the barrel, not back on the tang...so the sight alignment with the bore never changes

Not that it's relevant to the original question, but I would like to add that if you move the barrel into a different stock, even though the sights haven't moved relative to one another, your sighting might change because your eye won't necessarily be in the same place as it was.

Dan

Thinking about getting the 38in. Like the idea of the longer sight radius and hopefully will balance better.

The eye being point A and the rear sight being point B and the front sight being point C and the target being point D, a straight line between A and D is going to always be a straight line in any stock at any time. The difference in a different stock would be the variables of how you hold that stock and how much pressure between you and the stock at all points where you are contacting the stock. I don't see why the POI would change in the same stock if the barrel is put back in the stock correctly.

Lead Singer,
All being equal.....POI should not
change. :hmm:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

When removing and replacing the barrel I have found on my Lyman that the point of impact will change if I don't replace the keys in the same position. these keys have a slight bend in them and will slightly distort the barrel. I have mine marked #1 and #2 installed with the # up.

A .40 cal, 15/16", 38" long bbl is going be quite heavy. The balance point would probably be near the end of the stock. I like mine back farther, but that's me.

Java Man said:
A .40 cal, 15/16", 38" long bbl is going be quite heavy. The balance point would probably be near the end of the stock. I like mine back farther, but that's me.
That was my worry too...GM is making me a Flint version of the .40cal but I went with the 33" instead of the 38" for that very reason...even at 15/16", that tiny bore leaves an awful lot of metal...

Java Man said:
I have 15/16', 32" long GM .40cal barrel on a T/C Hawken stock and it is barrel heavy. It is managable but IMO, the 38" barrel would be too barrel heavy for comfortable off-hand shooting.

I have an Ohio rifle in flint. Its sports a GM .40cal x 7/8" x 36". The gun weighs 7 3/4#. I would expect a 38" 15/16" x .40 gun to weigh around 9 1/2-10#, all of it barrel!

According to TOTW website, a .40, 15/16" x 36" weighs 6.04# just for the barrel. A 32"er should weigh about 5.4#. Big difference, and all of it out at the end.

That was my worry too...GM is making me a Flint version of the .40cal but I went with the 33" instead of the 38" for that very reason...even at 15/16", that tiny bore leaves an awful lot of metal... [/quote]

Roundball,
I was wanting to get a .40 caliber barrel for my TC, but it didn't appear that they made a .40 for a flint. I emailed GM to see if they could make a drop in barrel for the TC and got the response that they don't do custom work. Did I miss out on something looking at the GM website?

I worked my request through Cain's Outdoor in West VA.
Ed Cain is a big TC/GM dealer nand has had GM make these flint barrels for me at my request:
.58cal rifled barrel
.62cal Smoothbore
.40cal rifled barrel

My .40cal Flint drop-in is supposed to ship this week...costs me an extra $60 bucks per barrel as they had to take an existing caplock off the shelf, remove the cap plug, install/fit a flint plug, then reblue the barrel.

Call Ed Cain and tell him a guy from North Carolina referred you to him about a another .40cal Flint barrel...

Interesting side note, after a number of similiar referrals to GM for a flint version of the .62cal, they went ahead and set up plans to make a whole run of them (48) to add to their barrel line...we might see the same thing happen with the .40cal

Thanks for the tip. I'll give Ed a try.

I have had this rifle since I built it about twenty-odd years ago in high school and I wanted to break it out with a new barrel and a replacement L&R lock.

Thanks again.

bowmaker said:
"...and a replacement L&R lock..."
Just so you'll know, unless you just want an oem lock, TC made significant design changes to their flint lock assemblies just a few years ago...long since your old style was made...and they are now outstanding, 100% reliable, long flint life, etc.

If you'll send your old lock to the attention of TC's Service Manager, include a memo asking him to "...do whatever he can to make it more reliable so you can count on it...", etc...one of two things typically happen:
You'll either get your lock back with the improved parts installed at N/C;
Or, you'll get an entire new lock assembly back at N/C.
:thumbsup:

Now you tell me, I have already ordered my new lock. I got so frustrated with that lock 20 years ago after tinkering with it that I probably haven't shot that rifle in 15 years. Replaced frizzens, frizzen face, shortened the main spring, all kinds of stuff. It got better, but I never was happy with it. I saw the replacement locks in TOTW and ordered one immediately.

A new lock and a new barrel and I think I'll enjoy shooting that rifle again - maybe even get back into some local matches.

You've been a wealth of information, Thanks a lot.

Back