• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green River knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google John Nowill knives, they have knives that are closer to the historic knives that were used they have pinned handles, not rivets. riveted handles did not come out until after the Civil War. Green river knives with pinned handles did not appear until the late 1830s. I have a Nowill knife it is inexpensive and is made of good steel.

I have a couple and they've been really good. Well worth the price. I'm gonna check out that guy Rusty mentioned. Always nice to find a good knife at a reasonable price.

Think mine is pinned as well.

IMG_3223.jpeg

Google John Nowill knives, they have knives that are closer to the historic knives that were used they have pinned handles, not rivets. riveted handles did not come out until after the Civil War. Green river knives with pinned handles did not appear until the late 1830s. I have a Nowill knife it is inexpensive and is made of good steel.
Can't say about Nowill pins but original trade knife pins were iron, peened/riveted. The two piece brass cutler rivets came into use in late 1800's and the blades were not scandi ground.

Last edited:
Green River blades are really good. If you don't want the two piece brass rivets, buy a knife kit and make your own. In a kit you can find, and use steel, or brass pins. Green River blades make excellent knives, just substitute pins for rivets, and you will have a more authentic knife. They also stay sharp good. You can choose what wood scles to put on the knife also, usually American Walnut, or Curly Maple, or Maple.
Green River kits are available at Track of the Wolff, Crazy Crow, Log Cabin Shop, just to name a few.

Dave

John Nowell knives are good also. I have a 5, and 6 inch butcher knives. I have not found a source for just the blades tho. There handles are a little smaller than Green river knifes, also. They are made in Sheffield England.
Bernal Cutlery is one source for John Nowell Knives.

Dave

Green River blades are really good. If you don't want the two piece brass rivets, buy a knife kit and make your own. In a kit you can find, and use steel, or brass pins. Green River blades make excellent knives, just substitute pins for rivets, and you will have a more authentic knife. They also stay sharp good. You can choose what wood scles to put on the knife also, usually American Walnut, or Curly Maple, or Maple.
Green River kits are available at Track of the Wolff, Crazy Crow, Log Cabin Shop, just to name a few.

Dave
The Russell Green River blades are very good, to be correct stay with steel/iron pins and very plain woods. The originals were just tools. NDNs sometimes decorated and carved grips, but the most common were starkly plain.

Hers a couple of pics of my John Nowill knives, and the sheaths, I made for them. I redid the handles, more to my liking, with some stain and, LMf sealer.
I kind of like the 5 inch blade better than the 6 incher. They are very sharp.

Dave

Attachments

• 20240814_171320.jpg
    20240814_171320.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240814_171242.jpg
    20240814_171242.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
They seem excellent for mountain man period. I especially like the peened iron pin rivets and the lack of a ricasso and the overall grind.

Back