• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greeting from New York!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFL

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just joined the forum a few days ago just for some advice. I thought my account would be temporary which is why I just typed 3 letters for my name. Then after browsing, I decided I would stay on the forum because I love it so much! I live in NYC so everyone is really uptight about firearms and I am too young to have an actual permit, but that doesn't stop me from getting antiques. I received my first muzzleloader for Christmas and really have fallen in love with antique firearms, especially ornate pistols. The good thing about NYC is that there is a beautiful collection of flintlocks in museums, like those in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I am currently looking to buy a revolver for a cheap price from an auction house, but collecting guns as a hobby is pretty expensive. Let's still hope I get it. :grin:

Good to have you aboard. Check some of the museum sites for other locations you might be able to reach over a weekend. There are some beautiful pieces shown on this and other muzzleloading sites as well. If you can get started shooting, be sure to jump in with any questions. :thumbsup:

When I was a kid I use to walk through my home town's downtown (in Illinois) with a loaded 22 or 20 gauge heading to my favorite rabbit hunting ground. The town cop gave me trouble only when I didn't bring back any rabbits. How things change.

Anyhow the BP bug is a bad one. I can even smell it when I dream. Maybe it's because the poorboy is next to the bed.

Orthod said:
When I was a kid I use to walk through my home town's downtown (in Illinois) with a loaded 22 or 20 gauge heading to my favorite rabbit hunting ground. The town cop gave me trouble only when I didn't bring back any rabbits. How things change.

And sadly, often not for the better.

When I was a boy, you could show your duck hunting teacher your 870 shotgun in the school yard and he would show you his Browning Citori. He had two Pintailed ducks in his trunk that he shot on the way to school that morning and I one upped him with three Sharptailed grouse. For fire arms training we brought our favorite gun for show and tell into the same school. Now they find a bullet casing on the school grounds and they call the police. My fourteen year old son got suspended for three days because he pointed his finger at a fourth grader outside his class room window and said bang! Him and his four friends thought it was funny until they come and got them from his class room for questioning. He owned up to it and said it was a joke but they were not laughing.

Hey ffl welcome to the forum. I also live in NY but on long island. I see you want to get a bp pistol. You should know you don't need a license to own one,but if you have the powder or bullets and caps then you must have a license. Good luck with and enjoy this forum you will learn a lot. Moe

Thanks everyone! Yes, anything prior to 1899 is legal without a permit. So, I have a pretty wide variety of firearms I can choose from. It doesn't seem too logical not to allow a single shot muzzleloader which can only do so much damage compared to todays weapons. I don't want to go too deep into gun control. Let's leave it to the political forum.

Welcome aboard! Hopefully you will be able to get of the city someday and really enjoy these guns.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Traffic Safety
Traffic Management
Wanted and Missing
Contact NYSP
NYSP Troop Map
Language Assistance
Español (Spanish)
中文 (Chinese)
Русский (Russian)
Italiano (Italian)
Kreyòl ayisyen (Haitian-Creole)
한국어 (Korean)
Polski (Polish)
NYS AMBER Alert
Link to the NYS AMBER Alert site
Subscribe to Missing Child & College Student Alerts
Section: FAQs Subsection: Firearms
Pistol Permits FAQs

Q - What happens to lawfully possessed firearms belonging to a licensee who has died?

The person designated as the executor or administrator of the deceased's estate may lawfully possess the firearms in question for a period of up to 15 days for the sole purpose of lawfully disposing of the firearms.

If this cannot be accomplished within the 15-day time frame, the weapons must be surrendered to a law enforcement agency who would then hold the weapons for safe keeping for a period not to exceed 2 years during which time the weapons may still be disposed of.

If the weapons are not disposed of within that time period, they will be classified as nuisance properties and destroyed.

Q - Are antique handguns subject to the same laws as those applied to modern handguns?

The Penal Law definition of antique firearm is generally applied to muzzle loading black powder firearms, but also applies to pistols or revolvers "that use fixed cartridges which are no longer available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade".

Muzzle loading pistols or revolvers do not have to be registered on a pistol permit if the owner never intends to fire them.

If they are possessed in a loaded condition or are simply possessed simultaneously with the components necessary to make them fire, they must first be registered on a valid pistol permit.

Note: Should a manufacturer begin to produce ammunition for a pistol or revolver for which ammunition had not been available previously, that weapon no longer meets the criteria of an antique weapon and is required to be registered. A pistol or revolver, regardless of age, when possessed with the ammunition necessary to make it discharge, is required to be registered.

Q

Back