• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Greetings from Dunwoody, Georgia...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello:
I'm brand new to the "Muzzleloading Forum". It looks like a great place to 'lurk & learn' all of the things I ever wanted to know about muzzleloading, but have been afraid to ask...

I shoot a .54 round ball-percussion, Pennsylvania model, "York Rifle" that I had made with a 42" barrel. The good news is that with a 1/66 twist it shoots very well using a 230 grain ball and 90 grains of Pyrodex. - The bad news is that cleaning the long barrel is a real chore, and I am a nut about keeping a clean bore. Any neat ideas about rapid and effective cleaning would be appreciated..

-----BigBird
.Benefactor, NRA.
.Life, Safari Club Intl.
.NRA, Cert. Rifle Inst.
.River Bend Gun Club.
.Pistol/Rifle "plinker".

The bad news is that cleaning the long barrel is a real chore, and I am a nut about keeping a clean bore. Any neat ideas about rapid and effective cleaning would be appreciated..

as long as it takes to clean properly.....
welcome to our camp....don't be afraid to ask anything we have a great bunch of guys and gals here to help out............bob

Welcome to the forum...

If you think cleaning Pyrodex is messy, try it with real black powder sometime...

Actually, cleaning the bore is like icing on a cake, it's part of the lore and charm of muzzleloading, it compliments the hands-on experience that makes shooting muzzleloaders a part of our rich heritage...

I use hot soapy water, as hot as humanly possible without sustaining burns, this way the moisture evaporates quickly and there's less chance of rust developing before oiling.

Welcome to you!
I have a feeling you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about cleaning. In fact within the last week or so, a lot of discussion has been given to the subject. I think it was in the Flintlock section but maybe the precussion section or was it in the General Interest section?.... We've got so many good things going on all of the time, I have trouble keeping up with the location of specific issues so I just check them all out.

Again, welcome to the camp!

Welcome to the best forum on B/P shooting anywhere. Ain't
none of any to smart as individuals, but as a group we are
a virtuial library of information on history and B/P.
Again welcome!!!! :)

BigBird,

My father had the best system of cleaning ever. "Son, clean the guns." It worked for him.

Gary

Back