• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grip Safety

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if I am in the right forum but my question is
Was the Grip Safety ever used on percussion and later guns in the States?
Feltwad :idunno:

Do you mean a sliding thumb safety or do you mean a depressible device that will prevent the sears from disengaging? Thumb safeties were about universal by the cartridge era but I've never seen one fitted to a muzzleloader; muzzleloaders commonly relying upon the 1/2 cock notch of the tumbler. Occasionally you will see an American gun with a thumb safety fitted to the lock plate that indexes into a slot cut into the gun cock- the 1819 North military contract pistol being a fairly common example- but even that innovation is rare in American arms. Most thumb safeties in American guns only block trigger travel not the movement of the sears and they can and frequently do fall out of adjustment leaving the shotgun unprotected. Hope that clarifies things a bit... old gunsmith

old gunsmith said:
Do you mean a sliding thumb safety or do you mean a depressible device that will prevent the sears from disengaging? Thumb safeties were about universal by the cartridge era but I've never seen one fitted to a muzzleloader; muzzleloaders commonly relying upon the 1/2 cock notch of the tumbler. Occasionally you will see an American gun with a thumb safety fitted to the lock plate that indexes into a slot cut into the gun cock- the 1819 North military contract pistol being a fairly common example- but even that innovation is rare in American arms. Most thumb safeties in American guns only block trigger travel not the movement of the sears and they can and frequently do fall out of adjustment leaving the shotgun unprotected. Hope that clarifies things a bit... old gunsmith
The one I mean is the depressible type which disengage the triggers see image There were others that worked on the outside of the lock plate to restrict the fall of the hammer until released
Feltwad

I have seen grip safeties on English and European guns (shotguns) but never on an American gun. Americans lagged behind Europe in firearm technology. For example, by 1810 Europeans were using breechloading, self-contained cartridge technology while Americans had not even adopted percussion ignition technology. Technologies (for the most part) were invented in Europe, refined by the British and finally adopted by Americans.

LJA said:
I have seen grip safeties on English and European guns (shotguns) but never on an American gun. Americans lagged behind Europe in firearm technology. For example, by 1810 Europeans were using breechloading, self-contained cartridge technology while Americans had not even adopted percussion ignition technology. Technologies (for the most part) were invented in Europe, refined by the British and finally adopted by Americans.
I would not say that the grip safety is popular here in the Uk but it was also used in the pinfire and early centre fire period .
Feltwad

Never seen anything like that on an American arm nor on an import from England or Belgium sold into the American market. I seem to remember something of the sort fitted to an early French Darne. Looks to be quite useful. OG

old gunsmith said:
Never seen anything like that on an American arm nor on an import from England or Belgium sold into the American market. I seem to remember something of the sort fitted to an early French Darne. Looks to be quite useful. OG
Enclosed is a image of a couple of Nock patch lock converted percussion one by Samuel and one by Henry , both are fitted with the grip safety
Feltwad

Back