• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grizz hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All kidding aside fellers. I've killed several black bears when I was a pup with a 243. No comparason to a brown bear tho.I was raised in the mtns of NM and was always out in the woods with my 410 Stevens. My dad always said if I encountered a bear to blast him in the eyes and run, run, run. He said that man hunts black bears, brown bears hunt man. I was stationed in Alasks in the 60's and never saw a bear :( , Saw my first grizzleys last year in Wyoming OMG what massive animals :: There is a bear sanctuary in West MT. I talked to the park people about how the mtn man would kill one with his knife. He told me real quick that it was a bunch of s**t. :hmm: :redthumb:

Not sure about the Mtn Men killing grizz with a knife, but I was always impressed by the way some of the Indians did it, which was to use a lance, and tease the bear into charging, the butt of the lance was then put against a tree, and the bear impaled himself on it. And that's a true story.

:applause:

Of course there's no doubt that it didn't always work right!

:no:

Sheeesh! That Reb! I tell him I'd be proud to have him back me up with his double smoothie, and now he's gonna shoot me for BEAR BAIT! Why I otta!

:curse:

Well with all the soap suds in his barrels, it probably won't go off anyhow!! Or it might just shoot a big bubble!

:crackup:

Now I'm gonna go brush my tooth.

Running Rat.

Ok Rat, i give up. You win with that last one. :: Yep, a double barrel bubblegun. :crackup: Guess i'll have to name it Bazooka. :crackup: :crackup: Ohh, careful with that Tooth. ::

I've read a documented incident, of an unarmed feller kill'n a sow griz with a "rock"!

The sow attacked him, knocked him down and proceeded to maul'im. The feller grabbed a rock to fend her off, and by some lucky accident got it down her throat wher it lodged. The sow run short'a air, backed off, and fell to her death after fall'n off a cliff.

After relate'n his story to the men in his mine'n camp, everbuddy proceeded to the bottom of the cliff, wher they found the dead bear which did ideed have a "large rock" lodged in her thoat.

Ya don't need centerfire-magnum guns fer "back-up",.... jest make sure the "other" members in yore hunt'n camp are carry'n some "large rocks"!! :crackup: :crackup:

YMHS
rollingb

Hey Rat, try reading about Lewis & Clark geting chased all over half the Dakotas and into the Misouri River by several bear the five or six of them had Wounded simultaniously (God that's a big word!).

Even when in groups they avoided the bears. Guess they finally got tired of being chased.

I agree with the park rangers on knifing and lancing bears.

Look at the special spears and knives the germans designed for hunting boar, complete with crosspieces to keep the hog from "walking up the spear".

Multiply that times the word grizley. I don't think there is a lance long enough with a cross piece wide enough, and probably not a tree big enough!

I'll bet you money most of those grizly claws were from "road kills"!! Hit and run Conostogas!

I can see the headlines now: "Rockers go to Alaska, Grizzly gets stoned".

:winking: :hmm: ::

Well RollingB we're gonna put you up on point, with a rock in each hand.

:shocking:

Yep, Lewis and Clark killed a few of them grizz, and got chased by them too. I wonder if the standard "service" charges they were shooting had something to do with it.

Oh by the way Reb, yes, October Country has some very serious rifles that would FLATTEN a grizz! Did you see the picture of that one rifle, and the dead African lion, where the lion was DROPPED in mid-charge? For sure, if you took one of the October Country 4-bore Sporting Rifles...heck, everyone else could stay back at camp and play cards! Backup? We don't need no stinking back-up!!

Unless you got nervous and missed.......

:cry:

Rocking Rat

Yep, I reckon that Rebel just might talk Rat into something like this.

That fellow on the Left would be Rebel cheering Rat on!

Wake-upHONEY.jpg

Just kidding guys.

Russ

Yep you are right again Russ. And that gullible guy with the cybils would be our one and only RAT. Notice he is standing on top of the bear, and not on that snow, which is just WHITE WATER, which he has a phobia with. :crackup: :crackup:

Yeah that's an idea! I'll just STARTLE the bear by shooting over it's head with the Jaeger, then it will be ME running while Reb tries to drop it with the double smoothie!

YEAH BABY!

Snow...white water...see, if you get snow in yer barrel it will burst it. Snow is just white water. Cleaning with water could burst your barrel. See...I'm right, I'm always right!

:yakyak: :huh:

Rat

How about everybody shoot the bear all at one time. The bear will fall over... and if it doesn't, it can't see you because of all the smoke! :haha: That way everyone can take credit for killing the bear and you can draw straws for who gets to fill their tag.

My two cents.

Yeah that's an idea! I'll just STARTLE the bear by shooting over it's head with the Jaeger, then it will be ME running while Reb tries to drop it with the double smoothie!

Jest exactly "when" do you want me to start stuff'n rocks down thet critter's throat,.... "before or after" Rebel starts shoot'n?? :: :hmm:

YMHS
rollingb

I was always impressed by the way some of the Indians did it, which was to use a lance, and tease the bear into charging, the butt of the lance was then put against a tree, and the bear impaled himself

Yeah, but how many o'them griz walked away with a belly full of Indian?

THAT'S what I'm talking about! I'm sure it didn't always go as planned!! Pretty good bragging rights when it did I bet.

Rolling B, better wait until Reb unloads them barrels before you get in front of him!! You may have to wait until the bubble pops, before you hear the bang.

BPNewbie, the only flaw I see in your plan is that then ALL the guns will be unloaded at the same time!! I do like the smoke screen idea though....!!!

Rat

If that grizz ain't dead after unleashing three guns on him at once, he deserves a good meal! :m2c:

....You skin this un' and I'll get ya another un!!!!! :haha:

Watched Jeramiah Johnson the other night[url] again.....Huntin[/url]' Grizzz

Good luck to you and I hope you have an opportunity to hunt them one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapest way to hunt griz is to move to Alaska, buy a $25.00 tag, and as a resident you don't need a guide!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

Should have done that years ago RollingB.

BP, I think you are right, PLUS, there'd only be a one in three chance of getting eaten.

And while one guy was getting et, the other guys could reload.

Rat

Cheapest way to hunt griz is to move to Alaska, buy a $25.00 tag, and as a resident you don't need a guide!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

As bait you won't need a guide, either.

In Alaska, it's not legal to shoot griz over "bait",.... but I always told my buddy to shoot anyway, if he seen a griz chaw'n on me, and I'd pay fer his "fine"!! :cry: :eek: ::

YMHS
rollingb

Back