• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grn/Mtn Barrel in T/C Hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jailcop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Received my Green Mnt 32 cal Barrel for T/C Hawkin. The barrel channel in the stock was to narrow for the bracket that holds the barrel wedge. I removed the barrel wedge bracket from under the barrel and used a belt sander to reduce the width to 1/4 inch if this is a drop in barrel why did I have to grind the part down? Also the barrel wedge pins falls out. I had to place a piece of leather between barrel and stock to make barrel tight. Anybody know why?

Does it have a Helicoil in it where the nipple or vent liner screws in? If so, i would send it back and have them replace the breechplug.

Chattachoochee said:
Received my Green Mnt 32 cal Barrel for T/C Hawkin. The barrel channel in the stock was to narrow for the bracket that holds the barrel wedge. I removed the barrel wedge bracket from under the barrel and used a belt sander to reduce the width to 1/4 inch if this is a drop in barrel why did I have to grind the part down? Also the barrel wedge pins falls out. I had to place a piece of leather between barrel and stock to make barrel tight. Anybody know why?
There are two different size TC Hawken stocks:

.45/.50cal are in 15/16" barrels and require the matching Hawken stock for the 15/16" barrel to fit correctly into it's 15/16" barrel bed;

.54/.58cal are in 1" barrels...and they need the large size Hawken stock for the 1" barrel to fit correctly into it's 1" barrel bed;

My first guess would be that the particular GM barrel you ordered is not the right size for the particular Hawken stock you have...ie: you ordered a 1" barrel but have a 15/16" stock.

My second guess is you may have just voided the warranty and/or your ability to return the GM barrel by grinding on it.

I think what he meant was that the underlug didn't fit the cutout in the barrel channel and not that the whole barrel wouldn't fit. It appears all he ground on was the under lug.

I've had this issue with a TC hawken GM barrel combo. I removed the screws that hold the wedge pin estucheons then used a gouge/wood chisel to pare away a bit of wood (ca. 1/16 each side) in the mortise to allow the underlug to fit.

If the wedge pin is loose, support the ends and peen the middle lightly to put a slight bow in it. The bowed pin should grab the underlug more tightly; be sure you put the bowed end down whenever you install the pin, you might want to mark it.

Out of curiosity, does your barrel have the helicoil insert in the nipple threads (or the vent liner if flint)?

Not sure I have taken the nipple out it looks like tapped threads. How do you tell

:v Yes barrel fits fine, the under lug was the problem. It was to wide for channel cut in stock.

It's too late now , but the better course of action would have been to widen the channel to fit the underlug . Drop in parts sometimes require some minor adjustments before they will really fit . If you don't see anything but cut threads when you removed the nipple , you don't have a heli-coil insert (a good thing , you don't want a heli-coil). If you want to do away with your leather barrel shim , as another member said , you can either bend the wedge pin so that it has a slight bow , or peen a bow in your underlug to tighten things up :thumbsup: .

I am going to order some more under lug for the wedge pin as soon as Green Mtn opens Monday and I will widen the opening in the stock. Thanks :bow:

Chattachoochee said:
I am going to order some more under lug for the wedge pin as soon as Green Mtn opens Monday and I will widen the opening in the stock. Thanks :bow:
Since you've already ground the underlug to fit , I don't think you will need to install a new underlug and widen the channel (actually it's called a mortise , when you say channel people think you are talking about the barrel channel) unless you really want to do so . I'm sorry if I've confused you . As long as the underlug isn't buggered up it should be OK . If you do want to install a new underlug and widen the mortise , make sure you remove the screws from the estucheons first , you will also probably need to shorten the screws . The estucheons are the little metal plates on the stock that the wedge pin goes through . I had to do the same thing to my stock when I installed my GM barrel .

Patch & Reb,
What's the problem with the helicoil insert where the nipple screws in? Was cleaning my .54 15/16" 1-in-70 GM Drop in Barrel earlier this week and noticed the helicoil for the first time. I've used it two seasons and have taken two deer with it. It's a shooter.

I doubt they'd take it back now and I would really rather avoid the hassle unless the problem is serious.

Helicoils are an accepted for use in repairing aircraft, including engine repairs....it's not like they can't be trusted
Bob

Never mind guys, I've found more information in the other threads. No need to respond.
Bob

Back