• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Groundhog for moccasins?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will probably be a while before I can try it I'm living the city at the moment :shake: so I can't just go shoot one but I can find some that have gotten run over I'm planning to get some moose hide for a pair of winter moccasins

I've been reading about using 10 mm wool felt for liners but would that be to warm for a WV winter it rarely gets colder 0 degrees Fahrenheit

tenngun said:
Were they made in the past, cant say I've ever heard of it, but with respects to Claude rabbit was made in to moccs in the great basin with yucca basket soles.
I recently saw in a collection of NDN artifacts what looked like sandals. The yucca basket soles sound like that may have been what I saw. Could you tell a little more about them? All new to me.

From several caves in the great basin and in some north anasizi or ancesterol peublo sites full basket, basket soles and sandles have been found. most of the great basin people are lumped under the name piute, however were never a tribe, just people that shared a languge group. They would double skins and sew down or strip the hide in to thongs wrap around fibers and weave a mocc top out. Mocc I've seen like this were closer to late plains hard sole or would wrap the sole up the side like hippy moccs.Some of the cave sites go back to 5000-10000 years. Pueblo sites were abandoned in the 1200s. Very little study of the 'diggers' were done until the 1870s. I cant say for sure if this was a pre 1840 thing and post 1800. If your impression is eastren you would have never seen these. However, given one living off local resorces I can't see any one saying 'we can't use that...we only make moccs out of deer(moose,elk,buff ect)'

Thanks, a while back someone had raised the question about why sandals were never worn. I had no idea some tribes had a form of sandal.

The basin and peublo werew making sandles as were people in florida in precolumbian times. I do not recall seeing any sandles from histoic times but baskit soled moccs were used in historic times in the gb. I dont know if they were used elese where in north america

Back