• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GRRW Rifle;

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Jones

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have come across a Green River Rifle Works Hawken in .54 caliber. It is a really good looking rifle, with a curly maple stock, percussion lock. S/N is 574, and it was made in Roosevelt UT.It has a round ball barrel, and is brown finish. Any info on this rifle, and prices would be much appreciated.

I've got one that's perhaps similar in 58 caliber. I'm away from my home computer, where I've got a letter from the GRRW gunsmith who made my particular rifle. It's real informative about how the barrels were bored, resulting in a slight choking or constriction at the muzzle. Whatever the explanation, it's as accurate as sin. Look on the bottom of the barrel right up against the breech. Some, like mine, have the individual smith's name.

Herb here on the site knows an awful lot about GRRW and is in contact with some of the other principals. Hopefully he'll pipe up.

BTW- I paid $850 for mine and felt like I got a bargain. I've seen others go higher, but few for less. There are some kit guns floating around too, and that can affect value. There are two GRRW trade guns from kits for sale right now over at the ALR site, and maybe here too, if you scroll back a page or two. I just don't remember.

Don't have a clue as to prices, but these rifles were first class guns. A lot of effort went into selecting quality parts and making the guns as authentic as they could.

I can't say for sure about the prices either, but I have recently come across a couple of GRRW Leman models that were being offered in the $850 range. My understanding is that the Hawken models will bring a little more than the Lemans.

Now, having said that, I should point out that those Lemans didn't exactly fly off the shelf at $850. I don't even know if they have sold yet.

From all reports these are high quality rifles, I think some came with Douglas barrels. These things are very desirable, so you shouldn't have any trouble selling it if you ever decide to.

Good luck with, let us know how it comes out and please post some pics if you end up buying it.

:hatsoff:
Spot

The Green River Rifle Works in Roosevelt, Utah built copies of Hawkens, Lemans and Poor Boy rifles in the 1970's. Not replicas, but copies of original rifles, quite faithful to original rifles. I built a Leman in their shop in 1978. My friend Neill Fields started there making barrels and went on to build rifles. He has now built over 400 muzzleloading firearms. I just phoned him about your request for info. He said the Hawkens sold in 1978 for about $500. We would know the name of the builder if there is a name on your rifle.

If you buy the parts from Track of the Wolf to build a Bridger Hawken, my catalog shows $661.59 for parts, using a plain maple stock. Neill got $5 per hour back then, he gets $40 an hour now. He'll build you a Hawken for about $2500, depending on quality of wood and barrel. There may be a collector's premium for a GRRW Hawken, I don't know. But just looking at it as a good copy of a Hawken rifle with premium parts, do you think it is worth what the asking price is?

Thanks To all. Herb I will check out the rifle later in the week, and get back to you. Thanks,

Back