• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guess I be a pilgrim - yet again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsmoke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
New kid on the block but not in the game.
Been shooting black powder since about 1964. Got more serious about 1970 when I started buying a few revolvers. In 1971 or 72, the wife bought me a T/C Renegade for my birthday and that hooked me. Worked through a succession of guns over the years, several T/C's, a Hatfield, Brown Bess, Trade Guns, Henry Trade Rifle, Leman half stock Percussion, and most recently .62 caliber English Sporting Rifle. Have been most excited about big bore guns. I have the .62, a .69, and a double 8 bore rifle. Talk about "Big Smoke", the 8 bore throws out a cloud!
In 1984, my wife and I bought October Country from the original owners and have operated it since then. We make shooting bags, powder horns, brass ram rods and sell most of the major brands of muzzleloading accessories.
Other interests are old cars (currently enjoying a 1968 Buick Electra 225), and playing music, right now I am thumping on an electric bass guitar.
Looking forward to enjoying this forum.

Big Smoke

Welcome to the best forum on the web. I am sure you have known of us for a while. Glad you decided to sign on. Your experience will be valued greatly. October Country is a valued asset to our sport. Thanks for keeping it going. Welcome.

bigsmoke,
Welcome to the forum glad to have you on board.
Looks like you have a lot to contribute to the forum
and we hope you will do so. Never really had a big
interest in the big bore guns, but that is what is nice
about this sport of ours there is something for everyone.
Contribute often and have fun.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Hey Big Smoke, glad to have you aboard!

My Dad used to have a '72 'duece and a quarter...his wasn't what I would have called a "classic" though...pretty rough. My favorite was a '67 Plymouth Fury that I had in the Navy...4 door, 318, 0-60 in 2.2 days...

anyway, back to the smoke....miss them big guns of yours! This is my "Gun of Ridiculous Caliber". The barrel was a 20mm anti-aircraft gun barrel cut down to 28". I can't take credit for it, but I thought that you would probably appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum! Have fun!

PS: I know there's no rock, guys, and that the barrel is grooved, but it was a gift from the wife and kids. And besides, IT'S SO MUCH FUN AT CANDLE SHOOTS!!!

P1010001.jpg

Howdy Stumblin'
Yeah, I think this is going to be fun here. I hang out at a couple of other places, but this seems to be the busiest. Thanks for the welcome, all.

Years ago, I knew a fellow who had a 20 mm gun that he built his-own-self. Seems the barrel was close to 38 or 40 inches long, full stock rifle. This fellow was about the size of you and me combined (read that as very large). One day I was chatting with him as he was leaning against this tree he called a rifle, and in his quaint drawl, he said, "Yep John, I always figured a man's rifle should be commensurate with his own girth!" Well, no arguement about that statement. As I recall, he used a section of the barrel as a bullet mould. It did kick and snort when he pulled the trigger, but I have no idea what powder charge he used. I reckon 20 mm is about .80 caliber, so it took a bit more than just a few grains to get it working. My 8 bore runs on 300 grains of Fg pretty good.

Anyway, I do like the looks of your Gun of Rediculous Caliber, sure would like to have a chance to shoot it someday. Who knows? Candle shoots - bah, that gun belongs at stake cuts. Man, would we make a team or what? My 8 bore double and your 20mm. I'd pop it on the left side with the left barrel, you hit the right side as I am recovering, and I'd come in with the right barrel for a center hit and there goes the post. Five second time, no problem. In order to see the post, we would need to shoot when there was a slight breeze, though, because we would be making -

Big Smoke

bigsmoke: A Big Welcome To The Camp ! !

Glad you found us!! :hatsoff:
I thought a 58, 62 or a 69cal were big. I guess I was thinking to small. I have a T/C 54cal, if they have had a 58cal, I would have goten that rifle. I was at a gun show, when I got my rifle. Anyway, Welcome to the Best site on the web about Blackpowder and everything that goes with it.
:thumbsup: :redthumb: :front: Mtn-Man2u

That's interesting...the guys who built this one also built a full stock version as well, about 38-40"...I wonder....

Okay, :eek:ff: so I'll let folks get back to introducing themselves...glad to have you aboard!

Stumblin

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Welcome. Don't let my wife know who you are! She gets this look every time I'm at your site looking at what I NEED this time. Good to know we'll have your input.

Welcome aboard BigBore.
I Know your expertise will be greatly utilized and appreciated. You can't ask for a nicer bunch of folks in any community.
:thumbsup:

Welcome BigSmoke!

I'm also new to the forum and look forward to learning all I can and pitching in whenever possible.

Sounds as if you have a notch or two in your shoot'in belt.

Where do I sign up for mentoring? :master:

See ya at the range!

Bigsmoke:

Heya, nice to see another familar face stop by here! There are quite a few of us from the other sites. Some using the same names and others who aren't.

Have fun!

Back