• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gun building videos

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott adair

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Has anyone seen the gunbuilding vidow by Turpin? Just wondered what it was like. Any other videos out there that anyone knows of?

Scott

I bought the one with him building a Jim Chambers kit and it helped me build the kit with few questions on this sight. It was very informative for me.

SF

I have a couple video sets: The one with James Turpin, one with Ron Ehlert, and the multi video set by Peter Alexander (The gunsmith of Greenville County).

All are good and will provide helpful hints. I like the set by Perer Alexander better though as it is much more extensive. To be honest though he is taking you through building a rifle from a blank in his set rather than just completing a kit.

None of the video sets make up for lacking a good book. They do comliment good book though.

I'd recommend that you get the Ehlert DVD too, as it complements the Turpin video in many respects, and shows other ways of doing basic things.

Turpin doesn't show how to install the touch hole liner, which Ehlert does. Ehlert also gives more advice on carving and engraving, including, e.g., how to do the final shaping of the wood around the tang and breech area (especially the moulding from the barrel flats up to the tang/barrel join, which I found hard to work out until I saw him do it).

I would offer up the Tech Video Rental site to rent some of these dvds ... much cheaper to rent than buy. :grin: :thumbsup:
[url] http://technicalvideorental.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=113_75[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks,

I have three good books but a friend suggested I might take a look at a video.

Scott

I'm sure you'd get a mighty kick out of Hershel House building a southern rifle!!!!
It's available from American Pioneer Videos. (vol 1 & 2)
Peter Alexander is very thorough, measuring everything so precisely, where Hershel just grabs his hachsaw and lets rip! ...Doesn't measure hardly anything.
I find this very refreshing, and much more in keeping with how it was done originally.
As a quick example, most folk cut and file dovetails to shape, but Hershel roughs out the main part in a few seconds, with hacksaw and square file, then lifts both ends with a cold chisel. this is much stronger as metal is moved, Not Re-moved! Much more traditional.

Besides being great "how to" videos, they're so entertaining, as Hershel is one of the nicest guys on the planet!!!!
Ron Ehlerts are brilliant too, but i haven't seen Franks video yet ( Frank House )

Of them all I think Hershels videos helped me the most, and I tend to do stuff his way.

Must thank Jim Wright for producing the American Pioneer series!!

Pukka Bundook said:
I'm sure you'd get a mighty kick out of Hershel House building a southern rifle!!!!
It's available from American Pioneer Videos. (vol 1 & 2)
Peter Alexander is very thorough, measuring everything so precisely, where Hershel just grabs his hachsaw and lets rip! ...Doesn't measure hardly anything.
I find this very refreshing, and much more in keeping with how it was done originally.
As a quick example, most folk cut and file dovetails to shape, but Hershel roughs out the main part in a few seconds, with hacksaw and square file, then lifts both ends with a cold chisel. this is much stronger as metal is moved, Not Re-moved! Much more traditional.

Besides being great "how to" videos, they're so entertaining, as Hershel is one of the nicest guys on the planet!!!!
Ron Ehlerts are brilliant too, but i haven't seen Franks video yet ( Frank House )

Of them all I think Hershels videos helped me the most, and I tend to do stuff his way.

Must thank Jim Wright for producing the American Pioneer series!!

I agree with your sentiment ... having seen House's videos on long rifle & hawken rifle building. I have not seen the Chambers kits videos .. but will soon.

Simply amazing what Hershel can do .. he makes it look so darn easy .. and I agree we sometimes are slaves to our procedures and need to precisly replicate these arms when in all honesty I think the very ones we spend so much energy and time to recreate were built just like Hershel does ... informally and as best fit as he can! Kinda funny when ya think on it! :hmm: :thumbsup:

Davy

I ordered Jack Brooks' DVD on "Beginning Engraving". My couple of past attempts (30 years ago) at engraving were complete disasters and I concluded I'm just not meant to be an engraver. Jack's video showed that with the tools and techniques I had tried I never had a chance for any good outcome. Now, after 30 years, I think I may give it another shot.
My wood carving was not so horrible (easier to fix mistakes in wood) but I was impressed with Jack's DVD on engraving so I just ordered his "beginning Carving" DVD. Maybe you CAN teach an old coyote new tricks. MAYBE. :grin:

Back