• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Cases & Racks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Besides the stand up gun cases and wall racks, does anyone have any clever designs that they would like to share with us?

Perhaps antler racks?

Something different would be nice to see...

When I was having trouble finding just the right hooks I was looking for, I went to the hardware store and found some nicely shaped, antique brass finished door stops, pulled the rubber thingy off the end, screwed them into the wall, put some felt on the top, and hung my flintlock long rifle and Kentucky pistol on them.

Guests were always asking where I found those matching 'antique' gun hangers.
I told them "Home Depot". :haha:

All of my guns but two are in a locked gun cabinet. The other two, consisting of the first rifle I ever built from scratch and an original 1832 double bbl. 12 guage shotgun are positioned on the mantle over the fireplace.

...The Kansan...

I don't have alot of space in my gun/computer/workshop room so this is what I use. It holds 16 guns in just 24 inches of floor space. It turns on ball bearings so you can find which gun you want without much trouble.

102024086.jpg

I have been contemplating a stand for the mantle. My buddy and I discussed it and he built one. It is made of very clear shelf board. The edge is routed. Then he built two Y shaped stands of different height to act as yokes for the Hawken to sit on. I like it, but am trying to come up with something a little different. I am thinking about brass yokes for a row boat - the yoke that the oars go through - with felt lining mounted to a board. The polished brass with a nice walnut base would complement the look of the walnut Investarms Hawken that I have nicely.

All my firearms but two are in the gun safe, in my vault. One of those rests on the headboard of my bed and the other hangs above the fireplace. I bought two, two hanger, clothes hooks that match the hardware in our house and screwed them to the stone of the fireplace above the mantle. The top, longer hooks hold the rifle. A powder horn and shooting bag hang from the lower hooks.

Vic

Wish I had pictures, but years ago I saw the rack I liked best. The fellow had carefully selected and pruned a manzanita branch, leaving lots of smaller limbs in place while shortening them. Stripped all the bark off the thing (that ain't easy with manzanita, BTW) and sanded it so the incredible color showed through, then finished it. I never got mine made because it was soon clear that it takes just the right branch to work. His was flat on the back and hit the wall in three places for hanging.

Best cases or scabbards I have seen were really unique too. Another guy owned those: He kept the hide of the whole hind quarter of a moose and an elk intact when skinning- didn't split them, rather he turned them inside out like a fox skin. He clipped the hide off at the hoof on both of them, but said on his next one he was going to find a way to leave the hoof in place.

Tanned with the hair on and a little judicious tapering and sewing on the back side up at the ham, he turned out a couple of incredible cases. Next time I shoot something with legs long enough, I'm going to make one myself.

Might not look good in somebody's living room but it sure works out in the field.

monmouth-02.jpg

A friend of mine makes what I think are unique hangers out of the front feet of the deer he takes.
Saw the feet [still fresh] off at about 4 inches above the lowest joint [wrist?]; bend the hoof back as far as it will go, tie it in that position and put it aside to set [coupla months]. When firm, drill out the core of the leg bone and epoxy a hanger bolt [wood threads one end-machine threads the other end] into the hole. When cured, screw directly into the pre-drilled wall, or rack, with the hooves facing up.
I,ve had a few sets of these hangers around for years; the hair is intact and they have'nt gone funky.

Longshot

I don't have alot of space in my gun/computer/workshop room so this is what I use. It holds 16 guns in just 24 inches of floor space. It turns on ball bearings so you can find which gun you want without much trouble.

102024086.jpg

Just a recommendation, but if I was you, I would lock up the bolts for those rifles in a different place away from the rifles. I do that because if a bad guy broke in and got the rifles, he wouldnt have the bolts. And I am pretty sure average bad guy would have no clue where to get a bolt for a mosin nagant, enfield, etc. Just my two cents here.

Back