• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun values

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How does one determine the value of muzzleloaders? I was a t a gun show today, of what BP weapons there was most were used and not to good looking shape. High prices(800-2000 dollars) on them and not being that knowlegable in types did not know what they are.

I would hate to get ripped off, so I am looking for some good source material so I know what i'm doing.

As alway's any help is appreciated.

This is a tough one as every gun is different, from some suppliers you can spend 700 bucks on a set of parts with precarved stock and put 40 hours into the project, so 1500 dollars is not out of line if the job is well done, maybe 900 if it was not a real nice job and kind of cobbled, or 3000 if top knotch with carvings and inlays, look at TOW's consignment guns and knock off 30% and you might have a rough idea on some but many of those are way to high in my opine if historical accuracy is a factor,I would suggest you need someone with experience to check out the gun before you buy just like taking a used car to a mechanic.

The best book dealing with original American Antique guns that I know of is FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE

I haven't found a good up to date source for forign guns.

For reproduction guns, I bought the BLUE BOOK OF MODERN BLACK POWDER VALUES but in general I don't believe the prices they list (at least not in my neck of the woods) and they don't include many of the older, out of production guns which are available at gun shows etc.

One of my other hobbies is vintage military wristwatches. There is not a single price guide out there that is accurate, and prices of some watches fluctuate quickly. The only way to keep close tabs on values is to become extremely knowledgable about variations and fakes, and to keep a close eye on the buying/selling market.

I don't know much about muzzleloaders, but I suspect they are more difficult than even military wristwatches, since there are many individual builders, and each firearm can be unique, and each finished differently (i.e., tg's comments).

I also wonder if there are some custom modern muzzleloaders that simply can't be readily distinguished from original antique muzzleloaders, without highly specialized knowledge of materials, craft, usage, and aging characteristics of the real mccoy.

Myself, I'm at the mercy of the honesty of the fellow trying to sell me the muzzleloader! :shocking:

vautrain: You and the rest of us (for the most part) are in the same barrel when it comes to values and costs of muzzleloaders.

With the rifles, there are some modern builders who antique their rifles. Usually to make the buyer who wants a new gun that looks old, happy.
In the High Value Rifle area there is some fraud but the area fraud becomes all too common is with black powder Colt and Remington pistols.
It's too easy to file off marks and "age" a reproduction gun and most buyers don't know enough about the real ones to know the important things like the number of rifleing grooves, the direction of the rifleing, etc. (The Italian Reproductions are alomost always wrong on these characteristics)
Without this knowledge, it's all too easy to get cheated. That is why I don't buy antique cap and ball pistols.

Back