• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you guys school me on grades of Hawkens? Quality, value, etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have high hopes for it! Feels a hell of a lot more solid than I thought it would, I guess they just don't make em like they used to! I'm reading through the Walks Alone threads on them now to figure out when it was made and such.
CVA and Traditions guns get a bad rap by a lot of folks. But that's OK if they prefer something a bit pricier. But they are mostly good guns. I'll agree that no CVA gun I own is better than a nice custom or a Kibler. But you can't buy those for a hundred bucks. The Spanish barrels are fantastic and, at least in the Hawken and Mountain rifle, the locks are good. And if the lock goes bad you can replace it with an L&R lock for a couple hundred bucks and have a great rifle for years to come. I've even heard some folks that don't like CVA say that at least the barrels are good. And if you decide you hate it I'm sure many of us here would take it off your hands with a bit of a profit for ya. You didn't go wrong at all on this deal. I don't even know you but I'm tickled about this deal. Congrats on a great score.

If I remember correctly the first 2 numbers are the year so 1990 should be it. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.:)
Any way as promised here some pictures of the 50 cal CVA I converted to flintlock.
100_2433.JPG100_2434.JPG100_2435.JPG100_2436.JPG100_2437.JPG100_2438.JPG
Sorry I'm not the best photographer with the best camera.

If I remember correctly the first 2 numbers are the year so 1990 should be it. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.:)
Any way as promised here some pictures of the 50 cal CVA I converted to flintlock.
View attachment 342741View attachment 342742View attachment 342743View attachment 342744View attachment 342745View attachment 342746
I was building a "junk yard" Hawken last year and wanted to convert to flint. When I started the process Deer Creek had plenty in stock. Waited too long. When I went to order the lock they were sold out. That one of yours looks nice. Turned out well.

CVA and Traditions guns get a bad rap by a lot of folks. But that's OK if they prefer something a bit pricier. But they are mostly good guns. I'll agree that no CVA gun I own is better than a nice custom or a Kibler. But you can't buy those for a hundred bucks. The Spanish barrels are fantastic and, at least in the Hawken and Mountain rifle, the locks are good. And if the lock goes bad you can replace it with an L&R lock for a couple hundred bucks and have a great rifle for years to come. I've even heard some folks that don't like CVA say that at least the barrels are good. And if you decide you hate it I'm sure many of us here would take it off your hands with a bit of a profit for ya. You didn't go wrong at all on this deal. I don't even know you but I'm tickled about this deal. Congrats on a great score.
I have a Traditions Kentucky flinter kit that I put together, I'm confident it's more accurate than I am. This at 50 yards:
1000008091.jpg

Have had a few ignition issues, I'm convinced it has to do with the patent breech and my lack of knowledge in the beginning as far as properly cleaning it out. You're spot on about the barrels.

It's probably the wood, but this CVA feels solid and a step up where the Traditions feels... Not cheap but idk, something about it tells me inexpensive (again probably the super dry beech). Not getting that feeling at all from the CVA.

View attachment 342741View attachment 342742View attachment 342743View attachment 342744View attachment 342745View attachment 342746
That looks awesome, love the darker finish. I read that and will probably choose to believe it on the serial. I was born in that year so it's a happy little maybe-lie I'll tell myself haha.

Back