• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmith Who Can Thread Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone point my towards a good gunsmith who can ream and thread my .62/20ga smoothbore barrel for choke tubes? Im located in central NC. The barrel is octagon with a 1/8' wall at the muzzle
Snapchat-1892595193.jpg

With the tooling available from Brownell's most gunsmiths can fit choke tubes, not a difficult job at all. You may want to search out a smith that specializes in shotguns though.

With the tooling available from Brownell's most gunsmiths can fit choke tubes, not a difficult job at all. You may want to search out a smith that specializes in shotguns though.
Of the several gunsmiths Ive spoke with they dont do choke tubes, and if the do its only for 12ga. Thats why I wanted to post on here

Can anyone point my towards a good gunsmith who can ream and thread my .62/20ga smoothbore barrel for choke tubes? Im located in central NC. The barrel is octagon with a 1/8' wall at the muzzleView attachment 345879
You may want to shoot your gun first. There are techniques loading a muzzleloader that can change the shot pattern.

Another option is to consider having the bore jug choked. Doesn’t change the appearance at the muzzle, yet you will have bore you can easily load shot and roundballs in. Maybe contact Dan at Caywood Gunmakers and get an opinion from someone who has added chokes to many muzzleloaders.
http://www.caywoodguns.com/jug-choking.html

Can anyone point my towards a good gunsmith who can ream and thread my .62/20ga smoothbore barrel for choke tubes? Im located in central NC. The barrel is octagon with a 1/8' wall at the muzzle
ThompsonNC,
Call Ken! He made my 48", 62 cal smoothbore barrel. Don't know for sure if he can do what you want, but he is a super nice person to do business with.
Larry

Scan.jpeg

Sir, I can do this at my shop in Arizona.We are tooled up and do shotgun work. I recommend Winchokes in 20 ga as they are easier to get than 20ga Remington's, but it is up to you.. LRK Mechanical Services, 727 Brennen Ave, Prescott, AZ 86301. 928-776-6483.
If you choose us, there will be a delay. I have up coming prostate surgery, because mine is now the size of a possible bag...

Back