• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&R Springfield Stalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenousfishing

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a H&R Springfield Stalker in 58cal. Anybody have one of these and have any load selections to start with. Want to try both minnies and round balls. What is the rate of twist? Any idea what thread size for the nipple?

Have both the .45 and the .58 as well as a Deluxe. Have not shot them yet but always liked the quality and looks.

Went to the range yesterday. Tried both Minie's and round balls. Tried 50-80gr FFFg at 50 and 100yds. Only fair accuracy with Minie's from TOW at 50 yds and forget about 100. Best groups were with .570 RB and .018 ticking over 80gr. The minies need a short starter but then go easily down the barrel, especially when clean. I am afraid to try a Minie that is sized to start with thumb pressure because I think it will just slide down the barrel. The roundballs are cutting the patches. May be that a previous owner buggered up to muzzle, cant quite tell. This is basically a copy of a cut down Civil War Springfield. Can it's round barrel be coned to remove any rough or distorted edges? Also, original question still stands as to ROT and nipple size.

Measure the bore with calipers, and then mesure the ROT in the barrel using a couple of oiled cleaning patchs and a jag, that makes them a tight fit. Or, better, in my experience, use a bore brush, with a patch over it, that is oils. The bristles will punch through the cleaning patch, holding it to the brush, and the ends of the wires will dig into the corners of the grooves. Push the brush all the way down the barrel. Mark the rod( wrap it with tape to write on) so that your mark is in line with the front sight. Carefully turn and pull the brush out until the brush has turned 90 degrees. You can mark the muzzle with an 'X" before putting the brush down the bore. Now, measure the length of the ramrod from where it began with the brush all the way down, and where it is now stopped at the muzzle. Multiply that number by 4( since you only made a quarter turn) and that will give you the ROT for the rifle. You will usually have to do this a few times to stop muscling it, and get a feel for it. Otherwise, you can push the bristles over the lands, and get a way too short ROT. The typical .58 caliber barrel will be about a 1:66" ROT. I have no idea what your barrel is.

Back