• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Half-Cock Position to Low

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken-Hunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman GPR .54 percussion, that shoots well. When I replaced the stock nipple with the taller Knight Red-Hot nipple, my gun "lost" its half-cock position. Actually, the nipple was taller than the half-cock position - so the hammer could not even reach the half-cock position. What's the solution? Does Knight offer a shorter nipple, or do I have to raise the half-cock position by modifying the lock? Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, I thought Knight only made inline rifles. In an inline, the length may not be a factor. I have used Hot shot nipples by Uncle Mike and TC had a nipple called Hot Shot, probably the same as the Uncle Mike. I have used them on TC Hawken and have not had a problem.

I noticed when I first started using my Lyman GPR that it was difficult to install a cap on the nipple while in the half cock position. I believe it is part of the design and requires you to go to full cock to put a nipple on, you can then go to half cock although I never do as most of my shooting is done at the range and for safety reasons if I do not shoot the rifle after capping I will remove the cap before I set the rifle down or come off the line. I don't see there being a problem during hunting to apply your cap, set on half cock and hit the field. But if you are completely unable to return to half cock without setting the hammer down on the nipple you have a problem that could be fixed as easily as using a "proper" length nipple. The Lyman rifles used two different types of nipples, I have purchased both types and they both fit and allow clearance for half cock, neither allows fitting a nipple while the hammer is at half cock, there again...simple design flaw? I'm used to it now and either leave my capper on the bench and cap when set down with rifle and readying to shoot, or keep the capper in my pocket and cap just prior to shooting offhand, kneeling, cross-sticks, whatever...but never capping off the shooting line and never leaving a cap on when removing the rifle from the line. I like to use Ampco nipples and work the nose of the nipple with a file until I get it loose enough to allow full positioning of the cap on the nipple and enough room to remove a cap that has been snugged down prior to firing. I would use this same nipple if going afield and merely give the cap a little squeeze to make it fit that much tighter. I also cut a "V" in the forward or leading edge of the nipple cup on the hammer to help the cap break up and not get stuck in the cup.

The solution is to use the correct nipple for your rifle. Knight ain't it.

You can get the correct size from TOW, Dixie etc..

I've been using the Knight Red Hot nipple for years and seek them out to purchase any where I can.

Kinman's post gave me an idea of possible trouble.

He mentions difficulty capping and has to go to full cock then back down too half,,
Sounds reasonable.

Could be the fly in your lock is just sticking a little and floating along with the sear till the sear goes fully past.
Try pulling the lock and give it a good cleaning and re-lube with fresh oil, the insides can dry out an gum up pretty easy.

I have run into a few like you are talking about that came on used guns. I don't specifically know what nipple you are referring to but if it allows room for a cap to properly ignite if shorter then just file it down. Be sure to clean it out after.

Bugflipper,
Most nipples are designed with a cone shape that ends in a proper size for a #11 or #10 cap, if you file down the height of a nipple that cone size increases and the hammer strike may not set the cap off with the first strike.
It's takes a bit more work turning a nipple down than just a couple wacks with a file.

Necci, to turn them down just chuck in a drill and use the side of a sharpening stone. Can have one back in business in 5 minutes. Generally have to do that with cherokee/seneca nipples because aftermarket ones for them are to big for #11 caps, unless you buy the high dollar ones specifically for them. At any rate just have a cap out to test fit as you go.
Have a good one.

I second buying the correct nipple and use magnum caps in you feel you need them.

Geo. T.

Bugflipper said:
Necci, to turn them down just chuck in a drill and use the side of a sharpening stone. Can have one back in business in 5 minutes.
Your right, but that's not the first advice you gave and sometimes folks out there in internet land aren't thinking the same way.

Ya know, the advice of modifying nipples comes across here on the forum a lot,, and I've never had to do it.
Sorry, but I don't think 5 bucks for a nipple is high dollar.
Don't get me wrong having the knowledge an know how to fix something that's not working is a good thing, but sooner or later if you want something to work the way it's meant to work ya gotta get the proper part.

I got heat on another forum because I made a simple comment about a guy gluing a popsicle stick under a trigger for the fix,, when I would have bedded it with Acraglas.
The same thing would have gotten done either way, but sooner or later that popsicle stick is going to crush itself and need to be replaced. The Acraglas is going to be there after the wood around it rot's away. :idunno:

Cherokees and Senecas don't take the standard 1/4x28 nipples like the other T/Cs. The $5 cap and ball nipples are the ones that need to be turned down to fit them. By the way I read that thread, assuming that's why you left.

Bugflipper said:
Cherokees and Senecas don't take the standard 1/4x28 nipples like the other T/Cs.
:idunno:
This thread is about the Lyman Great Plains.
How did TC's and cap-n-ball revolvers git in it ?

Is the Knight red hot another version of the Hot Shot nipple, that's been around for years? I've not seen one. I know the Hot Shots are a little taller, and have a tiny hole, drilled cross-ways under where the skirt of the cap sets. There may be a problem with the fly, however if that's not the case, it would seem to me, you just pull the hammer back a little enough to slip a capper on. As long as the hammer did not come to rest on the cap, everything should be good to go.

No the Red Hot doesn't have a crossed drilled hole, and the exit hole is .032,, I've got .032 music wire that fit's sweet as a nip pick.

Years ago I was in our local Cabelas Bargin Cave and there on a rack was these Knight Red Hot's fer cheap in some sizes I needed so I grabbed'm.
(1/4x28, 6mmx1mm and 6mmx.75)

At the time I was using CCI Mag caps and T7 powder, using the Red Hot's made for reliable spontaneous ignition time after time, so I guess I've just stuck with'm.
They work and work well, at least for me, :idunno:

I've since switched to RWS caps and they still work good.
The only nipple experiment I've made in recent years was to try Ampco bronze,, those don't work well at least with the T7 and the exit hole in those are smaller than .032.

One of the guys that has been with the club I shoot with since the early 60's told me that the only purpose the cross drilled nipples serve is to loosen Dixie Caps. He told me that he tried Dixie caps and had to use a pair of pliers on each and every one to get them off after firing. It seems the cross drilled nipple allows some of the gas to expand them enough to aid in removal. I've never used a Dixie cap and never had a problem with any cap sticking to a nipple except on a cap and ball revolver and all I did there was dress down the squared off head of the nipple in order for the cap to slip off a little easier. So much of blackpowder is just plain common sense and part of the reason it appeals to simple minded folks like myself...wait a minute did I just say that?

Be very very careful, I had am accidental discharge whilst hunting because of it. Basically as I brought the gun around to be shot the hammer caught on either clothes or sling, pulled back a bit then released, striking the capped nipple and discharging.

Thankfully it only cost me a trophy deer. Now I wont hunt without a Kap Kover.

Thanks everyone for the information.

I want a new nipple because mine has a lip which makes it difficult to place the cap. I could file down the lip; but many have spoken well of the red hot nipple, so I wanted to try it. Based on the responses, there are several manufacturers offering a "red hot" nipple. Thanks again!

Back