• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

half stock antique need info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billymas

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This old percusion rifle i bought has WM Varney burlington VT. and Muzzy&co.stamped on the barrel in the usual location.It has a half stock with a fish belly profile 31 inch barrel back action lock.Can anyone research this maker for me please.Ive tried and cant seem to get any where thank you

Billy,
I found a listing for a David M. Varney in Burlington, Vermont, 1842-1875. The Muzzy&co. may indicate it was made for, or by, a hardware supplier who often sold guns.
Mark

Hey Mark,
thanks for the reply........didn't think anyone would answer. Gonna try to do more research on this. Where do you find this information?

Bill

Varney's listed with the above data as a general gunsmith in A.Merwyn Carey's "American Firearms Makers" (Thomas Y Crowell Company, New York, 1953).

David

One of my Gunsmiths books also lists a David M. Barney, Burlington, Vt, 1850 but that's all it says.

May be a relative of WM?

Thanks everyone for your time,and it is D M Varney.I thought the D was a B and off the top of my head I typed W for William.This gun is all there,but the stock is broken and part of the forearm missing. I'll trace the profile and shape out a new one,butkeep the old.Back action lock is strong and bore 40 cal. looks good hardware is kind of fancy ohioish looking.

Billy,
I found the listing for Varney, several of them, in the book "American Gunsmiths" by Frank M. Sellers. Good luck.
Mark

Back