• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hand forged barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe his advertisements possess incorrect syntex but it does not take away from the fact he does hand forge barrels and locks.

Richard, thanks for the kind words. I freely admit that I do not know what syntex means at all and as long as I don't have to get a shot for it, I guess I don't care too much. My next personal project is another 4 foot wrought iron barrel for myself. I keep telling myself that I ain't never gonna do this again, but you know, anyone who don't know what syntex means cain't be too bright! :winking: Cheers, Bookie

bookie: A syntax is what folks have to pay when they want a drink or some tobacco.

It usually costs more than what your buying but the defenders of creating it always say "it will be spent on a good cause". :grin: :rotf: :)

I assume you are both referring to "SYNTAX" rather than syntex. It means the relationship between words and phrases as used in a sentence. " Throw me down the stairs my hat", is funny only because the syntax is all wrong, when the person actually means to say, " Throw my hat down the stairs to me. " Some people will purposely mispell a word, or make a letter in their business name backwards just to get people to notice their business and stop by if only to tell them their sign is misspelled. Better than being the Maytag Repairman, I guess. The same thing is now commonly done with syntax. Now that more than 1/2 of the people in the USA have some college education, this is the new " hook " being used by some advertisers to gain an audience. In other cases, the owners don't know better. Either way, it brings in the customers.

Paul, 1. I recently retired from Maytag after 32 years as a manufacturing department head and the real Maytag Corp. repairman, Al Neubauer, a.k.a. Hoot Al (and has his own website on building)is one of my journeymen! 2. Unless it's formal or I'm tryinmg hard to explain something clearly, I usually type as speak. No gimmicks except perhaps the spelling, but that is exactly how I talk. Many thanks for the education as I really did not know the meaning of the word. :bow: Cheers, Bookie Be Smarter

richardn said:
Maybe his advertisements possess incorrect syntex but it does not take away from the fact he does hand forge barrels and locks.

My post that Richardn was responding to was in response to his post (on 4/29/06) about a gunsmith in Montana, names Huddleston, that sells "completely handmade" rifles for $2000.

My post did not refer to later posts refering to Bookie in Iowa :grin: but I did enjoy learning the many meanings of sin-tax!

To my knowledge (and as mentioned by Chris Laubach in one of the earliest posts in this thread) the few folks who are actually making hand made barrels (Brad, etc.) are charging more, or in some cases way more, than $2K just for the barrel.

An all handmade rifle for $2K -- buy it!!! Buy it quick because nobody can stay in business selling their work at that price--unless this is the gunsmith (old joke) who won the 50 million dollar lottery and just kept on making rifles until it was all gone. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I remember watching a film in high school shop class (might have been called "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg". The rifle maker made a complete rifle with 18th century tools and methods.

The barrel started as a flat piece of iron and was forged around a round rod. The seam was welded together. It was draw filed into an octagon then bored out and rifled.

I suspect that barrels built the same way today would be quite expensive.

Latest posts

Back