• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hard to find flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

40 Cal
Reaction score
Over the past few months I have been checking on availability of an older Lyman Deerstalker in .50 flint. I know there was a bunch of these made but they are hard to find. I hate the new ones with the fiber optics so looking for the old style with the dovetails in the barrel.
I guess it speaks to their popularity as guys are not selling them. Really like my 1970s era T/C Hawken but...
So what flinter do you have that you would never sell?

I sold a Kibler SMR because my old eyes saw a blur of a rear sight, it went to a good home.

I wouldn't sell any of my other 5 flintlocks, I made 4 of them and was given the 5th by a friend with terminal cancer.

Eric......A suggestion....When my sights got too fuzzy to shoot , I built a new lighter long rifle w/ a 38" barrel , for reduced wt. , and installed a modified Johnson peep sight on the tang. VICTORY.....I can now see the target , and sights , and go to the range and shoot. Hope this encourages you a little......oldwood

I like building my own. I buy the barrel and lock and make the rest. Of the ones I've built only parted with two. I regret that very much. It's a can I do it hobby for me. Good bad or otherwise.

I had cataract surgery after I sold my SMR, I can see the sights on my rifles just fine now.

I made this for my .54 before I had cataract surgery, I could see my sights so well it felt like cheating after looking at blurry sight for the last 10 years or so.

peep done mounted.JPG

I can understand the attraction. I had one but traded for a longer flint, for re-enacting.

The only thing about it I disliked was the coil main spring. Had I kept it, I'd have replaced that lock. otherwise, it handled beautifully and was very accurate.

Eric, I like that. I have trouble with the little bump sights on my Trapdoor carbine and Sharps. I have to put on reading glasses to see the rear sight.

Latest posts

Back